Wednesday, April 05, 2023

Field Notes- Wednesday, April 5th. Almost noon. Just finished my breakfast. I am sleeping late this month.


 Expecting snow today.    It seems like we are always expecting snow.  I am tired of it.

 My old friend Allie hasn't started her seeds as yet but she is having to do her seed starting on the dining room table this year and not in the basement.  Her sister's furniture is in the basement.  They are living together now.  I put my order in........I am so lucky to have such lovely people in my Life.

I got the full list of tomato seeds being started.  The lovely golden yellow one with the rosy blush.  So pretty. Delicious. Sun Gold and Snow White.  Cherry tomatoes I adore.  I used to grow so many plants that I could fill cookie trays with cherry tomatoes- added olive oil and roasted them and then into containers and into the freezer. Recently I thawed out one container (there were two) and made my favorite pasta dish.  The pectin made the sauce so creamy and luxurious.

I am so grateful for Allie and her annual tomato seed starting.  It's the only seed she starts or plants. She loves eating fat slices in a tomato sandwich as much as I do. Southern Style.

When I get my hair cut next week- we'll drive further up the road to where I used to work and buy composted seaweed to put in the Future Tomato Bed.  Where the hard black tomatoes grew last summer. I need to add nutrients to the soil.  I am also going to see what they have.......perhaps a few herbs. For the back deck.  In one of the grow boxes.  It's still too early for the containers.  But I will make a list for my daughter for when she and her employer go plant shopping up north.

Just thinking about planting and such......makes Spring seem more plausible.  Less distant. Less likely to SNOW.  There are no birds flying about......so..snow.

2 comments:

Kim Carney said...

I wish I had a neighbor with seedling starts!! My neighbor Harry used to give me Sweet Pea starts!

Sleeping in - A GOOD THING. I wake up so early, and now force myself back to sleep. I guess I am getting up around 9am now.

Kim Carney said...

The birds are all flirting in the backyard! Chasing each other. The Northern Flickers are messing around. I love watching them. And that makes spring feel very close. Making sure they are fed and the cats now gone, have really helped me get to enjoy the birds! Spring, very close.