Saturday, April 29, 2023

Field Notes- Saturday, April 29th. Sunshine. Quiet.


 Peonies.  From France.  From my cross the street neighbor for watching over her house and collecting mail.  And I have NOT bought a new stove.  I was just LOOKING at them. Induction. Smooth glass surface.

I did not ruin my neighbor's return from a week's vacation by mentioning the deer had eaten all her Tulips planted by her front door.

Why I don't plant Tulip bulbs.  Deer think Daffodils taste bad.

 I have NOT bought a new stove because......this house was built by Jenga Puzzle People.  All the pieces fit together (TIGHT) and it's difficult to pull one piece out without disturbing all the others.  To get the stove out of the built in place where it has existed since 1986...will require more decisions than the washing machine did.  It was built in and then things were built in surrounding it -front -sides everywhere..  I measured.  Boxed in. Getting it to move forward (and up against the center island) will be difficult and then what- it's blocked on all sides. ..... and I thought getting the washing machine in and out was tough.

AND...the Electrician told me that the electric connections under that island where the electric stove is....is more complicated than a submarine.  I counted over fifteen different switches, outlets, plugs, connections- to the  central vacuum, to lights (indoor and outside), ceiling fan,  stove,  cable tv,  inside the cabinet mixer plug ins.........because I mentioned getting rid of that wall.  Everyone lost all color in their faces.  And to work on it in the very shallow crawl space (no basement) he would be on his back on a rolling thing. He said NO.

Now that I wrote all that.....not surprised they won't return calls or come back......Not surprised at all.

While the Washing Machine Installers were here I should have asked them if they thought they could get the old stove OUT.......or not.  But they had places to go.......... I think it's pointless to buy a new stove and have it sit in the garage uninstalled.....I doubt they will let me return it.  

To get a new fridge years ago- we took out a built in desk and surrounding cabinets (and if you think my kitchen looks like a construction site- you would be correct and that was YEARS AGO).  The original  fridge was the exact size of the ONLY SPACE allotted and not a half inch more. Our daughter now has that desk unit in her kitchen with a sink and counter top (where the desk was).

I had PLANS for a new kitchen....but the construction guys went to Vegas during COVID and lost all their money.....and lost their minds.  I contacted them...but no one has returned my calls.... and it's been FOUR YEARS.

That's the way it goes in Maine.....I can't even find the Tile Guy who was actually a responsible adult.

No comments: