Saturday, December 21, 2019

Daily Notes- December 21

                                         

I was sorting paper for the January bookmaking class, and found this example of the shapes and textures I was doing in my journals.  The dark text of the newsprint is no longer available to me. My newspaper has gone to a new lighter text that doesn't work as well for me.

I begin these designs with a line.  Then another.  Continuing until the surface is full.  then I go in and fill the spaces with pasted newsprint or with ink.

                                        

This is the second page I found. Neither of them is finished.  But I might work on them later- after Christmas but before the collage/book making begins. I'm not even sure I am able to do this kind of work anymore.  It's been a long time.  I might be better off beginning a new one and seeing what happens.  Rather than mess these up.  I was really surprised to see them again and surprised at the work I had done.  Steady hand.

I purchased all my holiday food items yesterday- feeling like I was doing it too early and now realize I was actually behind schedule.   I might need to buy another bag of flour on Monday when I have a coffee date with my walking buddy.  I also need to visit the bank.  Thank goodness they -all three- are next to each other.  Coffee shop- grocery- bank.  I visited the library yesterday.  To return my book and check out two more.

I've been recording the Great American Baking Contest (ABC) and was disappointed in the contestants.  They couldn't even make gingerbread in week two and their American cheesecakes were runny messes.  Not sure if there are one or two more episodes.  I had looked forward to the British Holiday baking shows from last December with Paul and Mary but...no.  They aren't even showing Mr Stink this year.

My selected glass vase for the paperwhite Solstice planting today- has a crack in its bottom.  I have to go with choice number two.  I like choice number one so much- hand blown.  Sigh.  It's disappointing.

I was hand sewing small squares together in anticipation of making a few potholders to give as gifts this week while watching the cooking show.  I seem to have misplaced the potholder batting- the special stuff that keeps people for burning their fingers.  I will need to put on my heavy coat and go up into the Attic to see if it's there.  Before that-- a quick look around the guest room and sewing room.  Last Time I remember seeing it was on a chair in the dining room.  When I brought it home from the store.   G says- let's just go buy a new yard of it at the store.  I think he just wants to get out of the house.  We did go have Chinese yesterday.  I got a lovely fortune.

"If you continually give, you will continually have"    A good way to live, I think.

2 comments:

Life Scraps and Patches said...

Those drawings with the newsprint - so nicely done, really amazing. And I'm with G - get out while the weather allows. Maybe even eat out again, celebrate the solstice.

Deb Lacativa said...

Long, long ago I would sit and listen to music - when albums had whole sides- and work with Rapidograph pens on glossy poster board. Miles and miles of lines, swirls, and dots. I can see them with my eyes closed but have no idea what became of them. Yours look so fresh.