Monday, August 24, 2020

Daily Notes- August 24th


 
 This is the copper bowl my daughter found @ Goodwill.  100% copper.  Today is very very hot and humid- 85 at 10am.  So an indoor day for me.  I did visit the library and grocery store already.  My daily tasks are done.  Tomato boxes are watered and the sprinklers are on the Peach trees.   I picked and bagged and dropped peaches off for the Twins.  Their doors were open but no one answered the bell so I left peaches on the doorknob. They may have been having breakfast on the back deck. Toys littering the yard and driveway- the twins are up and out early.

I have a "recipe" for cloth in a copper bowl.  Red onion skins and some sort of water.  I will look it up. Set it out on the hot deck in the copper bowl and let things happen- or not.  I haven't had much luck with jars etc outdoors.  But I do not want to be steaming things on the stove today.  The black walnuts have been aging in the crock pot since Spring.  Might be a strong enough brew- I now have a rusty bolt to add to my cloth bundle.

My daughter is bringing me more pickling cucumbers from the farm.  If I had known I would have gotten a package of dill at the grocery.  But perhaps some has grown in the herb garden? I can hope. We need to eat sweet corn today.  Like that will be hard to do.

I went on line and found a book list of titles for Mary Kay Andrews and- happily- each entry had a very short plot line.  This is now in my Book Notebook.  Title and five words or less of plot. That other Florist book- Andrews again.  So, I am ordering it from library.  I remember liking it.  There's a dog in the story. Girl finds the dog and no matter how many times dog gets returned to guy who owns him- dog goes back to girl.  It's really sweet. 

And on the book table a really thick dense murder mystery.  Sweden or Denmark.  Jussi Adler-Olsen.

Husband and I pruned the plum tree to pickable size/height and picked plums- about 24 good ones. The rest mummified.  We need to spray the tree.  I may give some to a friend and eat the rest- I am hoping they are worm free. I could also make the plum pierogi (dumplings) I saw on Martha Stewart's website. They looked impossibly delicious. I had plum dumplings once while living in Europe.  But mostly I had them when I was a child living with my grandparents. My parents should have just named me Dumpling.

 Husband was not thrilled to see the job I did on the forsythia behind the tomato boxes. But after looking at it for awhile - he was okay with it.  Gives me four feet of space to go behind the boxes to look for tomatoes.  Ripe tomatoes.  Also gives the backside of the boxes more sun and fresh breezes. He says he will go back in and cut the branches back the way he likes them cut. I think I did fine- you can't see any stumps.  Just leaves.

So, chilling out in the house today.  No cooking- other than sweet corn.

1 comment:

Deb Lacativa said...

MMm. sweet corn. Now I want to go to the store.