Saturday, December 08, 2018

Daily Notes- December Eighth


Something I actually made.  Not recently.  But hand appliqué.   For quite awhile, in the days when I was "making",  I liked hand appliqué very much.  The quilters in my chapter kept on my about machine appliqué being faster or quicker etc.  What I enjoyed was the slow-ness of doing it by hand.

I traced and cut two more red felt trees and one tree felt tree and two gold felt stars to blanket stitch. It's nice work to do in the daytime while sitting at the table.  Good light.  And the dog appreciates the company as his bed is in direct sight line to me.

Daughter came by and picked up two jars of the split pea soup I made.  She is on "the Plan" diet and finds soup to be an excellent breakfast before going in to work.  Fiber.  In the warmer months I think she has Mueslix non-crisp granola and fruit.

G has gotten the little train to work.  We are using the round 48 inch table as a base for the train and the gingerbread house.  No tree.  It's not as festive or nice smelling as a tree but...... it's something.  My husband has never been fond of Christmas and he thinks the "whole tree thing" is a pain. Hard to believe we're married as I love the "whole tree thing".

I just finished reading "The Summer I Met Jack" by Michele Gable.  At the very end of the book there were notes regarding the fact that the characters in the book are all real.  It's about JFK.  But not as a history book but as a novel.  I read until 2 am the first day and finished it after lunch today.  So, to be clear, the characters are real but the story itself....well, you'll have to decide.  The lending library had a small sheet at the back so we could rate the book.  The reader before and I gave it 5 out of 5.

I'm moving on to a Canadian mystery and then an Icelandic mystery.  The library was good to me last week.  I am waiting for the new Penny (Gamache) book.  The Hallmark Christmas Movies are repeating endlessly.  I think once a year is enough for 90% of them so I have to find new avenues of entertainment.

I went back to last December to get a picture of the Gingerbread House for Connie and stopped to read about 6 to 8 posts.  Gosh, they were so much better last year.

I decided not to just scribble a note on the card this Christmas for my junior high friend who still sends me a card every Christmas.  So I sat here and typed a 2 page letter, single spaced and, well, I should do that every year for good friends and family.  It felt amazing.  Not a copied letter.  Each person would get their very own letter.  And it's doable as I only have one brother left and about 8 people I send a card to each year.  And with the letter I already wrote-- 7 to go.

1 comment:

Life Scraps and Patches said...

I'm enjoying your "now" posts. How you're feeling, where you're going, what you're reading, memories. Very nice. Of course, I'm sure I enjoyed last year's posts too.