Thursday, December 20, 2018

Daily Notes- December 20


German Stollen.  I remember it and miss it as a very nice addition next to any cookie plate.  When I lived in Germany I was a member of the International Food Club.  The members came from all corners of the World and the International community that the American Women's Club of the Taunus welcomed.   Our annual Christmas Cookie event was not to be missed.  As much as the Americans loved the European cookies--the Europeans loved the American cookies-- but always said they were too sugary even as they ate them.

Stollen was something else.  It had to be baked way before the Holiday and then kept wrapped in foil to "mature" I was told.  That ribbon of filling on the lower left--marzipan.  I have never tried to make it because I would be the only one eating it.  I'm focused on shortbread cookies this year.

The paper under the Stollen also reminds me of Germany.  Gold paper with white stars.  White ribbon.  St Nickolas Day.  And little bags of "coal" on sale in the markets for naughty boys or girls.

And most of all the Christmas Market Stalls.  I have often wished the little Town where I live now organized a Christmas Market on the Town Green where they do host a sheet of ice for ice skating next to the big Christmas Tree.  The area where the market stalls for summer produce could to made into a twinkling market selling.......well anything really.  Cookies, ornaments, toys, wreaths and of course hot cocoa or mulled cider.  Farmers could sell local honey and maple syrup.

I guess the word for the day would be "wishing" or "dreaming".

I was very tired yesterday and almost fell asleep on the couch last evening--early at around 7pm. I made another pot of soup (chicken) for G yesterday (it was cold outside) and I finished the last bits of the pot roast and mashed potatoes.  The mail was only bills.

G and Riley are off on an adventure delivering flowers for my old work place. I plugged in a three foot twig tree with tiny white lights and various fake greenery and berries--on the end table.  Looks sad during daylight but will sparkle at 4 pm when it's dark.  The Moon is rising high and will be full tomorrow.  I might suggest a very small fire out in the snow--just twigs and a few sticks of the maple tree we cut down a few years ago.  We've never done that.  Something new.

No comments: