Saturday, July 04, 2020

Daily Notes- July 4th 2020



My Mullein
To the right is the side of the garage.  Behind the tall plant is the Queen of Plums (Damson) fully loaded with infant plums.  This is the second season for the tall plant.  See the yellow flowers at the top? 
They are the "seeds of the future".  
Behind the tree is other greenery and tall rose bushes and then the deck.
On the deck the Fig Tree.  With all new green leaves.

The Lime tree with limes nearly the size of small plums- is infected with mealy bugs. 
White fuzzy things that suck the life giving sap from the leaves. No leaves. No life.
It is on my orchids as well.
I swab with a Q-tip soaked in rubbing alcohol.  Each day- sometimes more than once.
Trying desperately to keep the orchid's flowers and the plants themselves.
The insects just keep coming back.

Today the lime tree is going into a garbage bag- it has shed all it's infested leaves. 
I will shed tears as I had so much hope of seeing the limes grow to full size.
I check the avocado pit each day for signs of the fuzzy white insects.
I wash the orchid plants in the sink- cleaning each and every leaf top and bottom.
Still the white mealy bugs come back.
Like the Covid Virus.

Today is somber but there are bright spots.
The family at the very end of my dead-end street (but next door to me) had banners and balloons and a cheering audience for what looked like a relay race for the cousins at 9am.  One cousin came jogging down the street as I was collecting the morning paper to much cheering and applause as he crossed the line under the banner. I hope this is a tradition they keep going forward.
They waved and wished me a good morning.

Daughter had the day off yesterday and spent it browsing in a going out of business used book store.
I now have the "complete works" of a favorite author.  For the next Pandemic Library Closure. 
Love is expressed in many different ways.

In my case, I served her lunch and she sat at our table and ate that lunch. 
With such a happy expression on her face.
Love to all of you and please drop by for lunch any day.
When it's safe.

2 comments:

Deb Lacativa said...

Have you tried Murphy's Oil soap on the plants? I mixed a 1/4 cup to a quart of water and sprayed my crape myrtles for a fuzzy fungus that kills the leaves. Worked but had to respray after each rain. They survived.

MariMo said...

Wouldn't that be lovely - to drop by for lunch. I just keep dreaming.....