Monday, May 07, 2018

Wu Peng--Black Dragon Awakens


Long ago and far away,  I purchased a Tree Peony named Wu Long Peng.  Black Dragon.  Five inch across deep magenta flowers.  Five feet tall and 5 feet wide Tree.  I like the number 5.

I waited.  Wu Peng lived but never grew.  Made a few leaves each year.  But didn't die.  I moved him two or three times, thinking he didn't like where he was but always thinking about 5 feet wide and tall.  So not that many places to put him.

Right now he is near the sidewalk by the front door.  A very nice spot. Room to grow.  He hasn't grown.  Only 18 inches tall and wide.  About 20 leaves.  Nice healthy leaves.

But this morning as I walked by and said hello to him--I noticed a flower bud.  I held my breath as I went closer to see if my eyes were deceiving me.  Not one but two buds.  I ran in the house shouting to G to "come look".   He is the resident botanist.  But he had forgotten all about Wu Peng in the passing of years. So wasn't all that amazed by the flower buds. Or that Wu Peng was (still) part of the household.

Now, these two buds being the first ever in the 10 or 15 years of Wu Peng's life with us....they may not open.  They may just be a "trial balloon".   But the timing might just be correct-- maturity is 10 years and I did start with a bare rooted stem.  Not a plant.  Not a tree.

Bloom time is correct as well.  Second week in May for zone 6 and we are zone 5. So possibly when the regular herbaceous peonies bloom in the back garden bed.  They are just breaking ground.

A very good day here at my house.  And I walked today.  For quite awhile.  Easy walking.  And absolutely NO problems.  No usage of the rescue inhaler.   So, I'm back to feeling good.  And that feels amazing.

1 comment:

Annie said...

Yay,Wu Long Peng, go,go,go. Hope he blooms!What a gorgeous weather day we are having, love seeing everything come alive again.