Monday, May 28, 2018

Memorial (remembering) Day Chair


Can you see the "ghost" of the next chair in the journal?  The paper in this new journal is obviously not as thick as in previously purchased journals.  Nothing stays the same does it?  I don't strive for accuracy in the drawings.  When I have coached non-artistic people to draw--- I always start with "blind drawing".  Pen or pencil on the paper and eyes on the subject. No looking at the paper.

My own personal style of drawing is a combination.  Blind and Intentional.

My ex-friend K had a chair like this in the guest bedroom where I stayed when I would visit each March.  Her dad had re-upolstered it in a very very nice fabric.  It was a pleasure to look at and appreciate.  I didn't do much drawing at the time.  But I wish I had drawn the chair or at least taken a picture.  But that was before I had a cell phone that took pictures. And before I knew that I would never see the chair again and never visit again.

I have a similar chair in the attic (perhaps in memory of K's).  I asked my dad (on his one visit to my home) to fix the springs where they had broken and gotten lumpy (the chair was purchased at a yard sale in a retirement community nearby).  He did.  The chair is ready for the fabric.  I showed my dad the fabric I had chosen  (from my fabric closet)--- an antique show purchased bark cloth.  From the 40's.   He said it was too nice for such an ordinary chair.  Left it unfinished.

I think I will draw that chair.

And find someone to upholster it in the bark cloth.  And set it in my bedroom.  To see every day and remember K and my Dad.

2 comments:

Life Scraps and Patches said...

I'm glad you're going to have that chair reupholstered in that "too nice" fabric. Too nice makes no sense to me.

DianeN said...

I'm happy to read that the chair will have the beautiful barkcloth that was too nice to use. And I'm happy that you will remember your dad when you look at it.