Friday, May 25, 2018

Watermelon Tonic


From Food 52- yesterday or the day before.

Three cups of water and quarter teaspoon of sea salt  brought to a boil.  Add one cup honey.  Stir.
Chop up 6 cups of watermelon and 1 cup of fresh mint leaves.  Add to the water in a large bowl or container.  I have restaurant tubs with lids that I use.  King Arthur sells them.

Let everything cool to room temp before adding 1 cup of cider vinegar.  Then refrigerate.
Remove the watermelon and mint (some have used it to make a salad, others just ate it cold)
There is a note on the card I wrote up to "strain" it.  My guess is to remove any bits of mint.

Serving is however you choose.  Straight up.  With very thin cucumber.  Mixed with Vodka.

Personally, as I have made the cucumber lemon mint water before, I would add the cucumber in when you add the watermelon.  I am on the fence as to the lemon--it might be better with lime.

In the Food 52 photo, above, looks like they added back some of everything to the serving. Plus ice.

The wonderful thing about these fruity water tonics is that they get you to drink WATER.  I have been drinking several glasses of plain water so far this Summer (is it summer yet?) and am feeling like some flavors would make the water more enjoyable.

Hair cut this morning.  Work is located across the road.  I didn't go.  So humid and so much traffic. I got some home dec magazines at the library magazine exchange--Chairs?  Lets hope.  Now some lunch.

2 comments:

grace Forrest~Maestas said...

restaurant tubs...King Arthur sells them? I googled and didn't see?????

Joanne S said...

For sugar and flour storage but they are the same thing I purchased at a restaurant supply. Mine are 20 years old but look exactly like the ones in the KA catalog I got at Christmas this year.