Monday, May 21, 2018

Three Little Pages


I've moved on from the just white sewn pages of white squares.  I've finishing with the chaotic pages of 35 colored squares--they said only Spring! and not much else.  These are the Moon Pages. The Moon being so interesting to me this year.  The middle page is the Moon shining on the Earth. I was teaching classes about planting with the Moon.  I'm thinking the green should be first in that Earth layer cake.  But perhaps I was thinking the green growth was still waiting under the Earth?

It's hard to know exactly what I was thinking.  The work is intuitive.

The last block is a Map page.  I found map fabric and was interested in making a block right away. I liked how the map colors went so well with this Earthy hand dyed fabric.  I'm not sure how this page fits in, other than recording my purchasing and use of new map fabric.

Jude Hill over at Spiritcloth has a series we don't see very often--the Sanity Series.  It's beginnings were, I think, in the Pages.  Pages of 35 smaller squares.  The only color in Jude's blocks was the thread and any marks were made in the cloth by Time & Wear.  The Pages became a Book.

Which was why I began the blocks when I found that very ancient and worn soft piece of white cotton in the Attic.  Found it that Time.  Never before that.  Was it even there in the Time before finding it?  So strange and unknowable.  And the 35 white square blocks had/have such power.

That white is here in the two Moon pages.  They are the Moon.  In the middle page, the left edge of the Moon is left unseen, with a ragged edge, like the Moon has some nights as clouds drift over and past the Moon.

So, going forward.....I will cut more of the white.  Explore the Moon in a few more pages.  As Spring opens and turns green.

In a Random Thing--I unsewed the pocket from one of my faded blue workshirts--not even sure WHY.  And it seems about the size of the Pages.  So I may work on a few pocket pages.  The pockets and the shirts have been with me for nearly 30 years now.  Worn soft and smooth.  They have held seed packets, Kleenex, shopping lists, dog treats, plant markers, dirt..........They have held Life. Two of them even hold dye colors from the Dyeworks of Deb Lacativa.  Those pockets stay sewn on the shirts.......for now.

No comments: