Wednesday, May 16, 2018

The Great Eastern Storm-- Never Got Here


Violets from one of the old journals.

I was wanting a great, loud, wet storm yesterday.  Buckets of rain.  We got dark clouds and some drizzle.  Today the sun is shining.  Why couldn't it have rained?????

Yesterday G and Riley asked me to do the daily walk in the woods with them.  I did. And it was just fine.  So, I think I will go again today.  Yesterday I picked up lichens and some moss (nothing attached to anything-all of it was adrift).  I like to use natural items when I do repots at work--and here at home.  So, it's nice to have a little stock at hand.

The Queen Of Plums is starting to send out blossoms.  Not on all the branches which worries me.  I need to clip a branch from the largest Beach Plum to provide cross pollination.  The juvenile peach trees have a few blossoms.  I am not sure I am supposed to "allow" peaches to form.  The trees may need a year or two more to just set out good roots.  I was thinking about a sour cherry tree.  Seventy five dollars.  And so tiny.

Arugula (left over from last year) is full and green and very "spicy".   I should set the new batch of celery into the garden bed and the new parsley.  But first I have to clear out the leaf mulch and that means--possible/probable ticks.  Something else is full and green in the garden beds and walkways--leaves have a slight sour taste--sorrel?  The birds could have seeded it.  Wild violets everywhere.  G weeds them.  I transplant them to beds where I can enjoy their good looks.

We collected some rhubarb from my friend's farmette and I made some rhubarb sauce (chopped rhubarb and sugar--no water) and froze the remainder of the stalks for more sauce or a pie. The sauce will be eaten with my daily yogurt and fruit lunches.  I have one last serving of the vegetable soup and then--yogurt and fruit or chopped veg/fruit salads.  No lettuce.

I was reading my two book list notebooks and the older one has about 5 or 6 very simple recipes for crock pot "meats" on the last few pages.   One is  6 to 8 chicken legs and BBQ sauce--8 hours.  That's the recipe.  I like that sort of recipe.  Chicken legs are often on sale for 89 cents a pound and I know that when the dark meat is really browned, it gets sort of "sticky" and that is really quite delicious.

There was a cartoon in today's paper--100 random things about me.  I might start that--here.  Or that might be the current theme of this blog?  (laughing)

3 comments:

grace Forrest~Maestas said...

100 random things........

dianen said...

Looking forward to 100 random things.

Dakotah said...

I love that you love gardening and nature