Thursday, January 18, 2018

Signs Of Spring in the Midst of a Snowstorm


I took this picture a week ago.  Remember I said I had clipped willow stems to make my willow tree stay short?  This was in the warmish weather right before the Polar Vortex entered Maine.  The branches got stuck into a tall vase and other than changing the water occasionally--I just ignored them.

Until the catkins started puffing up and looking like they had plans.  And they did.  This is so other-World-ly beautiful.  About two to two and half inches long.  And--the bottoms of each stem, in the water has produced long roots.  So, I have the "makings" of a few additional little willow trees.  And a wetland spot for them to grow.

The original stem that is now a 5 foot tall tree with many branches (from much pruning on my part to get a straight stick to turn into a tree) was from Easter two years ago--or it could be three years.  Time in a Garden is hard to remember.  The branch was leftover and in the garbage can at work. Or it was out of an arrangement that got dumped.  I thought the catkins looked interesting.  And I was right. But I had no idea they would look like this when they opened.

All 10 branches are covered in these catkins.  It's heavenly to see when I walk by and everything outside the windows is white......and very cold.

I read my book until 4 am (G says he looked at the clock) I found....ta da.....that IF I held the book far away from my face--arms length....I could read for a long time without the words going squidgy and greasy looking.  Amazing.  So I read.  And read.  And read.  Great Book.  Lotte and Soren Hammer.
Number 2.   I just today picked up book Number 1.  And have already read books 3 and 4.  They have written 6 books but I can't find them in Minerva so they might not have been translated into English yet.

It's been quite awhile since I could read without having to stop.  And I have been quite sad.

I made a few more 3 inch cut, pink Depression blocks.  I only needed to make a few more blocks to add to the leftovers and I may have what I need to make Connie another baby quilt top.  The correct size this time.  Really MUCH smaller than I had thought.

No comments: