Friday, January 05, 2018

Any Color But White


From ArtPropelled on tumblr.

About 8 to 10 inches.  Snow White.  But gusting winds so some places less and other places much more.  Ten degrees.  Feels warm.  I went out to help G with a clogged snowblower--no coat.  Riley feels the same--  doesn't like deep snow but was busy rolling on the sidewalk that had been cleared.

I set the crock pot to cooking on low before bed last night.  Out on the Sun Porch.  Unheated.
My pork butt wasn't as "fall apart" as I wanted so now it's in here in high.  We'll be having pulled pork for a few days.  In burritos, on salad greens (my favorite way) as a BBQ Salad, and just on the plate with some sort of starch.  Gnocchi.  Pasta.  If we owned any bread we could eat it in a sandwich.  Another thing I wish we owned--some nice toasted grain crackers.  I have a nice chunk of Jarlsberg.  Needs a cracker.

If you want a simple and full proof recipe:  Couple pounds of pork in one piece.  Cheap cuts work best.  One onion.  5 to 8 cloves.  Recipe says to stick into the pork--I stick them into the onion.  2 cups water. Overnight on low.  Get rid of onion, pick out cloves if you stuck them in pork, get rid of water.  Shred meat, discard icky things and bones.  Add one whole bottle of BBQ sauce (I use Kraft).  Some brown sugar (I like BBQ sweet).  Cook on low (again) for  3 to 6 hours--longer if you're at work.  Stir if you are home but not necessary.  Eat.  Do try it on a mixed green salad topped with some shredded yellow cheese and then with a pile of hot BBQ.  You can add tomato and hard boiled egg if you feel like it.

Shoulder and arm--in and out.  Some days better.  Some days not so good.

Went up in the unheated attic looking for the thermal shirts I collect.  They are LLBean with a 5 or 6 button neckline.  I found them in the first box I opened.  And there was "just the right amount" of space for the armload of short sleeved linen shirts I had carried upstairs.  Perfect.  When I take the thermals back up--I can bring the summer shirts down.  Off white (Bean doesn't make many things in pure white for women) so more vanilla, light blue, grey and navy.  I will likely only wear two of them.  The rest will just stay piled up.  One on and one in the wash.

My real life is like that.  One on and one in the wash.

G walks out to the mailbox after dark (mail is coming late) and there is never anything for me.  No letter from Grace.  No belated Christmas cards.  No packages.  Just bills.  Damn.


2 comments:

Annie said...

My thoughts on the weather today...very cold, I was well bundled to go out to our mailbox and found it soo cold, oh that wind today, much worse than yesterday's blizzard.
Hubby dressed very warm and got the plowing done early this morning.
I fretted all day during the blizzard that the power would go out, didn't here.We do have a generator, but those things can be testy, especially in the frigid cold, then I worry about people who have no source of energy,heat,water. Winter is one big worry,worry,worry!: )

Paula, the quilter said...

What is with the late mail delivery? It is happening here too. There are some days (nights?) when the mail isn't delivered until 7:30PM. That is really late. I don't like to go to the mailbox when it is dark and slick. I'm too old to fall down in the driveway, in the dark, in the cold. I wait until daylight to pick up the mail. Bah!