Saturday, July 15, 2023

Field Notes- Saturday, July 15th Rain overnight. Grass is very wet. 95% Humidity. 70 degrees..


 If we have to be anywhere- Maine is a great place this Summer (so far). Global Warming. It might be because we have so few humans living here....in Maine.

My bread rolls got moldy.....anything not in the fridge gets moldy.  I recall living in Georgia and everything- bread and cereals had to be stored in the fridge.  Mold and or bugs.......flour in the freezer when I had more space.  Sugar in glass jars with tight lids....or ants.

So Maine...other than Winter..is pretty much okay. So far.

The Boiler got it's annual check up.  I might have mentioned yesterday?  I talk to myself a lot and then get confused as to what I write and what I don't write down here......but the Boiler is NOT Best Quality according to the Service Guy.  But will be good for another 20 years.... I doubt I will be alive when it needs to be replaced.  97 almost 98 years old doesn't seem possible. But who knows.....will I spring for Best Quality the next go round?  

A Boiler for all of you with ordinary heating- heats water and circulates it into the radiators...warming the house and providing water for the kitchen and showers.  In the Summer months it just makes hot water for showers and washing dishes by hand....I stopped using the dishwasher about the time I stopped canning pickles and jam.   I was loading stuff in and only needed to turn it on every 7 to 10 days.  Seemed silly.  Now I do dishes by hand as they get used.....not much at all.

He also said the basement was incredibly DRY which is sort of unexpected here in Maine.  So. that was nice to hear.  We also chatted about his house in Town and how he was looking forward to the youngest of his sons to move out so he could do some remodeling.....the things people share with me......... I must just look like a person who one can talk to...about anything....

G and I were debating if the lawn had been cut this week.  Neither of could recall seeing the mowers.  And I got an email saying...all the rain has really screwed up our lawn guy's schedule...he is mowing on Monday.  Unless its raining.  And will be mowing every week.  Grass looks lovely.  And has now been fertilized by Tru Green and it's raining.......sigh.  The serendipity of the application of fertilizer and then overnight rain.....too good to be true.

It still seems weird to have a "lawn guy"........but I am getting used to it.



No comments: