Saturday, June 18, 2022

Daily Notes- Saturday, June 18th- Slow start- Sun when I got dressed and now clouds.


 From Tumbler.  I usually carry images like this to my file- not for the total look here- but the various stitches.  The lines- that circle.  Ideas I have on two index cards with line/sewing ideas.  I'll take a picture and show them to you tomorrow.  And I'm make a third card with the lines on this image that I liked.

Tomorrow George and Sam will come install the AC units.  George came yesterday and now I have a new idea for saving the Peaches from squirrels and chipmunks which involves yards and yards of multi colored netting.. And I have Winter squash and pepper plants in the last empty bed.

Long ago...I taught a class at my monthly Quilt chapter meeting- that was so long ago-- anyway, I had the idea of getting the static quilters in our group to "try something new" and it was making small pieces from scraps they found in the Monthly Scrap Pile (I instigated this and asked them to grab a handful out of their sewing room waste baskets for each meeting- I tucked any leftovers into the trunk of my car and brought them to each meeting).  

The pieces would be abstract.  No sewing.  We used Elmers glue ( I can still hear the screams of HORROR) to secure the bits and pieces and even little nests of thread to the surface fabric and even those little paper circles off the bobbin spools which we all had in our scrap baskets..  

Then we covered the work with netting.  I had purchased a dozen or so colors.  Some even had sparkles. They could "audition" the netting and then make their final choice of color and sparkle.   After the glue dried- and sometimes before it did.........just saying.....they would machine "quilt" their "quilt Sandwich".  Straight lines mostly but some went "wild" with loops and curves and circles..  They could also make use of the bright shiny thread in my collection.  Bobbin thread color didn't matter.  Like I said- no rules.  Later they added binding and their name and date to the backside.

At the Annual State Quilt Show- I organized all the pieces with names and an explanation of the reason  (Outside the Box) we made the pieces- and.......surprisingly (this WAS Maine 20 plus years ago)..the exhibit was very very well received......but better still.....the stodgy members were happy enough to drag family and friends over to see their "work" displayed.  I traveled around to different Chapters and "forced" them to color outside the lines as well.  Which is why I have so much netting. 

These images of "outside the box" embroidery reminded me of that......... now the leftover netting will keep the squirrels and chipmunks from eating Peaches.   I am making net "bags" to cover the trees and then secure the open side around the stem.  George thinks it will be difficult for the heavier squirrels to get a grip and the netting won't catch the legs of the smaller animals (rodents)- hopefully.

2 comments:

DianeN said...

But will the netting snare and/or hurt the birds?

Joanne S said...

Probably. Now that I consider this--might not go forward....