Friday, April 03, 2020

Daily Notes- April 3

                                                

The view from outside the front door looking east.  This center island is supposed to be Japanese in design.  The Mungo Pine is getting a bit too tall.  I think some pruning in the center section will do the trick- on a day when my husband isn't around to say "no".  The sidewalk has a nice curve. Just under the roof line of the porch to the far right you can see the pussy willow catkins. All those trees you see in the background don't amount to much of anything.  Well, they do an excellent job of blocking the Sun.  And the horizon line.

And that's the light (ha) situation here in Maine at 11am.  Another wet and gloomy day. I have all the house lights on.  In order to see anything.  It seems like we just got up and already it's half passed eleven.  Where does the day go????

My husband sent me an article from Popular Science magazine regarding the making of face masks from the lightweight washable poly fabric grocery bags we are sometimes given or buy.  These masks would not be soft cotton but better filters of germs.  And they are able to be sanitized in boiling water for 10 minutes after each wearing and then air dried.  Double layers.  Also the little wire closure things we find on our produce in bags etc- makes a nice nose thingy.  Especially if plastic and not paper backed.  So that's my task for the day.  G has found a nice dark blue bag.  I did not find one for myself.  But I think husband has a pile of bags in the car that might hold one for me.

I had baked potatoes for supper again yesterday.  That will be the last time, for now, as I am out of sour cream.  I think I had purchased the baking potatoes to make gnocchi dumplings not baked potatoes.  At this point, there are enough potatoes to make dumplings.

I've decided G's next soup (after he finishes the chicken soup) will be tomato with little cheese dumplings.  And a swirl of cream.  I don't like it.  But he does.  I make the little dumplings just like my grandmother did.  Only I add cheese.

I have not baked anything and I had planned on using some of the ripe bananas in the freezer to make husband some banana bread.  I think I might look to see if I have dates and make myself some date nut bread.  The two of us never eat the same foods.  Well, hardly ever.  We both like brownies and apple cake.

I have to thank Paula for mentioning using a light bulb as a sub for the wooden sock mending tool. And for the news that I could un-twist yarn and use the separate strands.  But right now- I am going to be making husband his mask.  So we can follow guidelines to wear masks in public.  AND giving the cloth a test dip in boiling water FIRST to see if it melts.  The fabric is made from (recycled) plastic.

No comments: