Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Daily Notes- April 15th

                                        

How does my Garden Grow.  The top two rows were already started in March.  The next two rows have been added to- even yesterday.  The older ones- mostly have seeds sprouted and one or two are showing secondary leaves.  I cannot plant root vegetables in these containers.  They do not appreciate having their root tips touched.  And I have not started my tomatoes.  I did start a container of green pepper seeds even though I read that it is too late.  My garden is hardly ready.  It is still very cold at night here in Maine.  The Tundra.

My citrus plant- in the house- has very tiny limes growing.  My husband says not to get too excited. But I am pretty excited.  They are tiny but look "like themselves" as they look like very tiny doll house sized limes.  My Christmas Gift Coffee plant- is recovering from it's freeze in the vestibule prior to Christmas Day.  I even gave it a spray with some liquid fertilizer.  And then re- thought that.  But all it's leaves are green and shiny.  The Fig Tree in the vestibule is getting a daily shower of mist. Still too chilly out on the deck for it.  My avocado pit- wrapped in a damp towel in a plastic bag on a sunny window sill has not sent out the root yet.  But the pit has split and I can see the root.

These "growing" things help me to see that Life Goes On.

The Governor of Maine has spoken.  We "stay at home" until the end of May.  The 31st of May. No matter what the President says, the Governor has spoken.  We are not opening up for business until the end of May.  Suddenly, we have more new cases - most in Senior Living environments-- which was always anticipated.

Today I am making meatballs in marinara sauce (in fact, right after I push publish).  And I am frying my slices of breaded eggplant.  Husband may actually eat some of both if I layer the eggplant with enough cheese and marinara. I tend to eat the eggplant as I fry it.  After the fried slices cool off or ice cold from the fridge.

I have already done two loads of laundry. Husband has been gardening (weeding) each day and I have to keep up with all the dirty gardening clothing.  I have promised him a haircut and he rushes out to the garden. I brought in my father's haircutting case.  Lovely sharp scissors.  Even a cotton drape to cover the "customer" while his hair is cut.  I am excited to give it a shot- husband is not so excited. I have the impression my dad cut hair for many of his older roller skating friends.

I went out yesterday and checked on my rhubarb plants- always so slow to wake up (I will have to send an email to my friend Patty for stalks of her rhubarb).  I uncovered my rhubarb and gave them a good side dressing of mushroom compost.  Lovely stuff.  I also moved a few small perennials out of the raised beds and tucked them into the front of the house beds.  Better to see them.  Columbines.  Pretty blue flowers. The Sun is shining today.

So....in a better frame of mind.  And two separate friends left brown paper bags of books on the front porch this morning.  I have cloth, paper and paints, books and cooking.  My days are filled with good things and occupations.  I can make it to the end of May.  I can. I will.

3 comments:

grace Forrest~Maestas said...

THREE!!!!! Of the tomatoes are TINY seedlings!!!!!!!!!!!!

Angie said...

I love reading about all of your growing things, and all of your pastimes. I am highly unmotivated right now. Hope it will loosen its grip on me soon. I'm in northeast Tennessee and it's late in the season for starting seeds in the house---or getting some of them in the ground---here but I'm just now beginning to get an urge for 'dirt therapy'.

Liz A said...

In Texas our lettuces are producing in abundance, the tomatoes are blooming and the peppers have set fruit. All in a hurry to beat the heat that will soon come ...