Saturday, April 25, 2020

Daily Notes- April 25th

                                                  

I began this cloth many many years ago.  When I was a member of a quilt chapter (even President of it) and also a member of a small sewing group of six.  The other members of the this small group enjoyed all things Civil War.  The patterns and the cloth.  I think this was made during those chat and stitch evenings. It never got any larger- I ran out of most of the fabrics- especially that peach fabric. And possibly the brown also.  I have plenty of the background fabric and it's sister in pale pink.

Right now, with the addition yesterday, of the pale pink border- it measures 23 inches square.  Unless I was to make three more of these- which is really not ever going to happen- this is finished.  I can layer it and hand quilt it.  I used to love hand quilting. Does anyone hand quilt anymore???

Husband is finishing up his breakfast and will return to working on replacing the bottom of his pull behind trailer.  The bottom had rotted out. He had enough wood in the garage for this project but did have to make a trip to a building supply to get bolts.  He wore his mask and was shocked at how few people in the store had masks or were distancing.  Then he might continue cutting down dead trees on the west side of the house.  We used the marker and found that most of it is our property.

I might go out and use my old chef's knife to cut more segments of the sedum ground cover and add them to existing beds.  I might even divide the large helianthus into three plants and move that perennial to a new area.  Everything is slow to flower.  Birdbath water is frozen every morning and does not thaw until 2 or 3 pm.  Spring comes late to Maine and sometimes not at all.

Daughter looked at my little milk jug greenhouses yesterday when she stopped by.  60% of the seeds have germinated.  The ones that haven't are the most recently planted ones.  The parsley- very first bottle I seeded- is almost ready to be set out.  I also potted up some pansies.  So far, no deer have come to eat the pansies.  They eat them every single time I buy and plant them.  I look forward to the tiny wild violas that grow in the fenced garden.

Well, that's about it for today.  I wish it was as warm as it it looks outside.

1 comment:

grace Forrest~Maestas said...

The wild violas, are they the same as Johnny jump ups?