Friday, April 24, 2020

Daily Notes- April 24- Six Weeks

                                                   

Six Weeks.  Of Quarantine.  That is sort of boggling my mind.  Six Weeks.  If someone had told me that first weekend that I would be here today- six weeks into this- I would have had a serious hissy fit. I was feeling panicked that first weekend.  Now......not so much. I'm used to it.

Daughter buys gas with cash not credit card and so...has to go in to pay.  Says the gas station
/convenience store has rolls of toilet paper for 99 cents each.  One stop shopping?  Gas, pizza, beer, cigarettes and one roll of toilet paper. America- the land of enchantment.

So.......back to ME!  I cleared that lower shelf of all things "business" and started bringing down fabric.  There is so much more upstairs, but this is what came down yesterday.  I can see there is "room" in the middle for more cloth so will venture upstairs to find more.  The far right stack has mostly blues- SKY.  I want to make houses and have blue skies. Homes.  I want to make Homes. Where the heart lives.  That basket can be moved and the space it's taking up can have two stacks of fabric.  That middle stack?  Needs additional cloth.  Under that lower shelf is open space.  Filled right now with baskets of "ready for the dye" cloth.  Linen shirts and mordanted white cotton.

You would think----with all this Time on my hands--that I would be doing plant or rust based dye experiments. I am not.  The freezer on the porch is filled with avocado pits.  Bags of them from my friend who eats one a day.  Another friend is dropping off bits and pieces of rusting metal.  I still have black walnuts.  The little crock pot is ready to go.  I even have a commercial indigo dye kit. I now have a dedicated large kettle for steaming.  And a large ball of string.  No- I spend my time looking at those 8 hand pieced works pinned to the wall.  Thinking.  Considering.  How large do I want them to be? Would any of them work with any of the others?  What do they need if they were to grow larger?
What would happen if I sliced them in half like I did to one of them.  In half, with something new made to be added in between the two halves.

And I still haven't measured myself for the making of a Boro Robe with Jude of Spirit Cloth.  I am not sure I want to (or will) wear patchwork.  I wear very plain clothing.  I wear clothing the way people wear uniforms.  I always look the same.  But I might use the pattern making technique to make a new white shirt.  Like all my others.  Perhaps with different kinds of white. I am still considering.

I am also considering making binding and finishing the king sized quilt I made.  It's taking up space on the very top shelf of the Small Closet in my sewing room.  And it would be a hand sewing project turning and hand sewing the binding to the quilt.  Something for weeks 9, 10, 11.  Its a lot of binding for a king sized quilt.  And I have to think about how to make it.

Other than avocado pits- no mention of food today.

1 comment:

Angie said...

Oooh those fabrics!! I LOVE them! Such lovely prints!