Friday, April 10, 2020

Daily Notes- April 10

                                   

This image was in my email box this morning. From the Wild Seed Project here in Maine- getting us to try and grow Native plants.  Mostly, (the image here) because I love seed starting and because this is what is going on in my milk jugs out on the deck- covered in wet snow this morning.  Little tiny sprinkles of green. (my milk jugs are still closed not open like this) These native seeds like a more gritty soil mix which is why some the pots look grey.  Sand or grit for the medium and not soil.  These pots are all outdoors- started in December or January.  Outdoors.  Uncovered.  The way Mother Nature does it.

At around 9 pm the lights started flickering here.  The snow had continued to fall for hours and temps were flickering also- between 40 and 36.  So wet snow.  Heavy snow.  And husband and I headed out to shovel- push- snow around. Geez, it was heavy.  And I mentioned to G how happy and relieved I was to find the shovels still piled on top of hatch to the crawlspace.  Instead of having to crawl around down there.  He said he was happy he had procrastinated about putting them away properly. We gave up just before midnight.  And fell asleep right away.  Good sleeping.

70K are without power this morning.  We don't do proper tree removal here.  And heavy snow equals trees down, power lines down.  Simple math. Been here since 1991.  Nothing has changed.  Old, sick trees hanging over power lines.  Stupidity. (daughter just called reporting explosions and red in the sky last night as trees hit power lines in Town)

The news this morning- that while people are still dying we may be close to the plateau here in Maine with 342 cases right now (that's our high number).  The Virus curve could be flattening.  In California my son says 2 weeks.  In 2 weeks they will know out there, if theirs is flat.

I am going to be making soup today.  Dee's Pantry Soup.  It's my hands down favorite.

My daffodils had just started to open.  I was looking forward to their cheerful display.  Now they are crushed under 6 to 8 inches of heavy wet snow.  Deep Sadness.  Deep.  While I was shoveling the wet snow off the deck- sway from the beds of daffodils- I was sad.  They were my one ray of sunshine. Outdoors.  Here in the house- I am happy most of the Time.  Happy I am not sick. Happy none of you out there are sick.  It's good.  Let's keep it that way-okay?

3 comments:

deemallon said...

Ha — I love it! Celebrating procrastination! I ha the e that heavy snow, so like concrete, damaging to bones and sinew. But sounds like you got a good night’s sleep out it!

I understand about the daffodils. Recently I wrote, we are putting a lot of pressure on spring this year. To lift us up in the usual ways, and then some.

I feel as tho we are all subject to surprise upwellings of emotions these days. For me recently it was the end of the PBS show, “Children of Windermere”. Orphans from the death camps brought to England, given food, love, a chance at life. And it wasn’t the horrible trauma still suffered by the children that made me cry but the crown (real) survivors at the end, talking about their gratitude to England. Their pride in the country. Because I don’t have that anymore.

deemallon said...

Grown men, not crown. Sorry.

Liz A said...

no one sick in this ether-real community we share ... yes, let's keep it that way!