Monday, April 20, 2020

Daily Notes- April 20th

                                     

Somewhere on the internet, I read that if you take a bunch of bananas apart they will last longer- not all ripen at once.  These have been on the counter for 5 days now and still looking good.  Not over ripe.  And....no tiny black fruit things flying around- landing in our coffee.

Today is my first day with store brand decaf.  Better than the Folger's. And on the side of the jar- instructions for making iced coffee.  Because these are "instant" crystals. We'll see.

Store brand oatmeal was like eating PASTE.  It's in the compost pile now.  I know Deb- you could have used it for the dye works.

Years ago- in reality- I had brought home a ground cover sedum that is lime green in Summer and orange lime in Fall. I planted it in one of the unused raised beds because I didn't have Time to think about where to actually plant it...  It flourished.  And went from a 6 inch circle to a 3 foot circle of lush growth.  Roots are shallow so I was able to use my old chef's knife to cut 12 inch segments and carry them to new homes.  Edging some of the beds behind the house and near the newly pruned Mugo Pine.  In the back Peony bed, I got two placed correctly (to my eye) but the third is too far back from the edge- so today I will re- plant it closer to the edge of the bed.  And consider cutting two more- always uneven numbers in plantings.  Always.  Uneven.  More pleasing to the human eye. When in doubt- only one.  All groupings- uneven numbers.  Three is actually a perfect group. In plants.

I learned from the psychologist down the street that three is never a good number when having children.  I was one of three.  It's the truth.  Always, always, two with one on the outside feeling abandoned.

I never got around to making the cookies yesterday.  Yesterday, I was very very tired.  Like I had no surplus to get me to do anything.  So I went to bed early.  And fell asleep.  I recollected dreams as I woke but can't remember them now- but they were gentle dreams.  Not sad or troubled.  I am still vaguely tired.  But the anxiety I felt in the early days of the Virus is gone.

I have noticed few- if any delivery trucks in the past week.  My neighbors are active on line purchasers.  At Christmas they had two and three deliveries per day. The post office still comes each day.  My fertilizer for the Grow Boxes hasn't come yet but G says it might take 10 days to 2 weeks.

My Gardening/Seed buddy has just started her tomato seeds so today I will plant my own seeds in the little milk jug greenhouses.  Then I will  have an even two dozen containers out on the back deck.  The tiny doll house sized limes continue to very slowly increase in size on the lime bush in the house.  The leaves on the Fig Tree in the Vestibule increase in size.  I leave the back door open so the tree is getting used to outdoor temps during the day.  Small Breva (first growth) figs- just 5- are slowly growing.  My Rosemary plant made it thru winter still green and will soon be repotted and out on the deck.  The Chive plants out in the garden and in the landscaping near the deck- are sending up new shoots. It's all good.

No comments: