Sunday, August 06, 2023

Field Notes- Sunday August 6th. Rained a bit overnight. Getting hot and humid as I type. Ac unit is on.


 Another Peach Cobbler- this one called a Peach Crisp.  The topping. Crispy.

My own Georgia Peach Deep Dish- is a 1000% Delight.  The Peaches at just the right stage of ripe. Juicy but still firm.  I had a bowl of "almost gone bad" dark cherries while watching a cooking show (before that I watched a Quilting show- Paper Piecing a Mariner's Compass.)  O. M. G. PBS on Saturday Morning.

So many pinned edges.  So much paper.  And they still got one segment wrong way.  I am guessing it was done on purpose......the finished quilt was divine.  But.......who wants a quilt these days???????

I imagined myself sitting down with photocopied paper- and having to do the gauge thing so they were the EXACT SIZE.  And right there I said- no way.

Once upon a time....I might have photocopied and made one block.  Just to say I had tried it.  But that Ship has Sailed.  I still do very very finicky work.  I still hand sew seams.  I still appliqué..  But not often and not much.  Without my Quilting Co Pilot (Riley) it just isn't as much fun.  He had to check my work.  Always looking it over- very seriously.....it meant a lot to both of us.  And he had opinions.  And I did a lot of unsewing if he didn't approve.   I was thinking of him- watching that paper piecing show together.  Then looking at each other- nope...not doing that.....we'd agree.

I read My Heart Will Find You for the 4th or 5th time.  I still cry at the end.

I had a bowl of Peach Cobbler and it was so good......so good.

Husband did a puzzle and was two pieces short.  We both looked. Table, floor etc.  nothing.  Before bed I found one siting on top of the puzzle and the other on the floor......right where I had looked.  Weird.

Next to a dusty box of wine...circa 1980 something.  Germany.  I wonder if any of it is still drinkable. Perhaps Fate wanted me to think about the box of wine????.


2 comments:

DianeN said...

Lots of people would like a quilt these days. Quilting is still alive and well in many forms. I wouldn't be tempted to make the paper pieced quilt you mention but I still like it and find it very soothing, especially the hand sewing.

Joanne S said...

Diane- my friend did send a thank you and she DID love the quilt. I still need to send an email on the care and washing of a 1950's quilt. Half the quilts are from the 30's and 40's and the one I gave my friend was 50 's I think.
One of the older ones - the patches have sort of disintegrated. So I will need to repair that one.
And find old fabric to use...... I have a pile of small bits and pieces next to me that I often sew together. I still love the process