Monday, May 04, 2020

Daily Notes- May 4th

                                      

Mending.  My oldest pair of green LLBean Cord pants (no longer being made or sold).  I went up to the Attic to find green felt so I could stabilize the weaker areas that needed mending.  Many weak spots... on the "vintage" pair of pants. Gosh, I've owned them nearly 12 years or more.  Wearing them constantly every Winter.

I used to do this mending on the sewing machine but the sewing always was very visible- with doing it by hand- almost invisible.  There were a few tears along the zipper and one very weak spot on the seat of the pants (too much sitting in the Winter).  But I was successful and I will be wearing the pants for a few more seasons.  When you know you will never be able to buy another pair of pants like this or another sweater like the ones you love.... the ones you have become precious.

Husband is going to cut the grass.  It looks like rain.

Son got his masks and the box I sent.  He liked the masks I made for him very much.  And I think he was happy to get some baking powder- now he can finally make biscuits.  Next time we send a box- toilet paper and perhaps flour.

Neighbor (far end of street up by the road) mentioned that they are eating lots of ice cream and candy these days and drinking a lot of alcoholic beverages.  We haven't really been into the ice cream- though the top freezer shelf is loaded with Ben and Jerry's. Too cold in the house.  I had been drinking wine- G was flashing back to his mom's drinking--so I stopped.  It was just a small 4 ounce glass in the evening.  I enjoyed it.  A mother drinking is somehow worse?  For a child?

Today and yesterday's book is about Pirates, the Spanish need to own the Seas and the English Navy.  People are getting blown up and sewn up etc.  Very eventful and no chivalry.  Very different from the Medieval books.  A few more from this author- one civil War and Card Games- I am going to pass.  another is the Wild West with a silent Indian named Sun something.  That one I will read.  There is another that I have always liked- it begins with the lead woman sewing.  But I can't seem to find that one.  Very romantic.

So.....I think I will mix up another No Knead bread and use King Arthur flour this time and weigh it. and then let it sit and do it's thing for 8 to 10 hours.  Bake it tomorrow.  That will be all the "cooking" I do today.  Take the word of my neighbor- candy and ice cream- all we need to be eating.

4 comments:

deemallon said...

I think about wandering around to see Grace’s hillside and goats; watching Deb do her unique and innovative thread dyeing; sitting with Jude on her new porch and watching the deer, making cookies with Liz and her grandkids, sitting at one of Dana’s beautiful tables, wandering through a gallery with Maggie. You get the idea. With you it is hands down that Attic. I know I’ve said this before, but it has fairy tale stature in my imagination. As if whatever you need, even if you don’t know you needed it, magically appears up there.

Joanne S said...

Dee you are just a 2.5 hour train ride away from all Four Attics. But you would more than likely just want to investigate the Cloth Magic Attic- cloth, quilts and who knows what. I have brought down armloads of cloth recently and when I go back up- the closet is still full......

Life Scraps and Patches said...

And Cheetos, don't forget Cheetos. Snack of stay-at-home champions.

Paula, the quilter said...

Funny, I sent my son a package that contained baking soda and masks. Great minds I guess.