Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Daily Notes- May 20th.

                                                 

Already a few of these 2 inch component squares have been switched.  And I may even turn some over. use the second side.  And just now- was thinking of slicing some squares into "sort of" two pieces and then resewing them into not quite squares.  Might need three strips.   I think it's good to take a picture and that give you some space to really see what is happening or not happening.

Rules are really only suggested guidelines.  And more often- a list of what not to do.

My eyes are fatigued.  Too much reading or too much bright light.  I can go "light blind" outside. I think of that- losing my eyesight.  That would be a devastating loss.  Fate has strange ideas. Today I will try for things that do not involve "close seeing".  No reading.

I did the lo mein additions later in the day yesterday.  Fried carrot strips- I made these once for a Southern Family Dinner in Georgia.  A large pan of thin sliced carrots- flat rectangles- fried in butter and olive oil until browned a bit and golden.  No longer stiff.  They didn't want to eat them- I said okay and piled some on my plate- they tried them........I had to go make a second pan of them and was required to fry carrots on every future visit.  Fried vegetables are so Southern I was surprised they balked at carrots.  I also fry green beans when the are new and just picked.   Old beans do not fry well.

Today was grocery day.  I had to check the phone to see if it was really Wednesday.  I had a very short list.  Bananas and coffee.  Splenda and bread for grilled cheese sandwiches. Peanut butter. I got a tub of Crunchy Vegetable salad and another of Crispy Chicken pieces.  (that was what they wrote on the label) and brown rice vegetable sushi which I love which is made in the store by Japanese chefs. They bow when I greet them.  I did see brownies today in the bakery section.  But none of the chocolate chip biscuits.  And toilet paper- large packages of more than 12 rolls.  No flour today and still no yeast packets.  When these items are there all the Time....I will know that the supply chain has returned to normal.  I didn't need either- I have plenty.  I am just surveying.  The fresh seafood section was wonderfully stocked and people were buying salmon and scallops.

I am actually no longer "cooking" meals.  I haven't even made Pantry Soup.  Today, I think I will make a Big Salad and eat the Crispy Chicken Pieces with it.  If they had had cold baked chicken I would have shredded it with honey and mayo and had that with my Big Salad.

Well, I seem to have written an entire post on food.  And from now on I will be making a 2 crust pie dough recipe when I need only a single crust with high crimped edges and baking the leftovers with sugar and cinnamon.  What a lovely idea.  Perhaps my own grandmother did the same for me as a small child and I had forgotten.

I was reading the King Arthur comments again after they printed the WWII Wacky Chocolate Cake.  (no eggs, no butter, no milk as these were not always available).   The person who has to curate that site must need to be medicated- 100 comments on how they did NOT follow the recipe....... one woman added eggs because  she hadn't "realized it was a "vegan" recipe" and it just turned out "awful".  But sometimes the substitutions are quite good.  Like cold coffee and Kaluha instead of water.  Yes, indeed.

2 comments:

Paula, the quilter said...

I had a Southwestern Chicken salad for lunch today. It is a big salad with crispy chicken pieces, tortilla chip strips, and cheese. Sprinkled with chili powder. The dressing was Ranchero, which is ranch mixed with salsa. My favorite salad from a local drive thru.

Joanne S said...

Oh, Paula that sounds divine!!!! Ranchero dressing- ranch mixed with salsa- so many things to experiment with. thank YOU!!!!