Thursday, May 28, 2020

Daily Notes- May 28

                                        

My "direct seeding" seeds -and that means they go from packet to the garden dirt- no need for the little milk jug greenhouse etc.   I also had to mix up two bottles of "blue stuff" to feed the petunias as they have lost all their color- the pink and blue splotches and have flower buds but no flowers right now.  I am also giving them Northern Sun.  Not the heated strong Southern Sun of the back deck.

I had two hanging baskets out on the back deck with little capsules germinating.  That went well until last night.  The chipmunk family decided to dig them up and eat whatever they found. I have resisted going to the greenhouse where I used to work.  To buy things.  But I might have to now- to fill these two baskets.

And I need to find a way to rid us of these chipmunks.  The cat next door can't catch all of them and the hawk seems to have moved on and the Fisher who used to live in the woods behind us- is no longer in residence (he/she caught and ate most of them in years past).  All the predators are gone.  We used to trap them at work and then take them for a ride.  Trying to figure out how far that ride would have to be before they returned.  The boys marked them with Magic Marker.  They always made it back.  Always.

Yesterday was very hot and humid with lots of sun.  This morning is dark, moist and colder with Sun eventually breaking thru.  But if Sun holds off-- I can put the seedlings I transplanted out for a few hours.  They would enjoy natural light but NOT sunshine.  I have some very nice True Hyssop that will fill out one of the Herb Rectangles in the garden nicely.  And some lovely Persian Carpet Zinnias.  Both successful milk jug seed starting plants.

Husband continues to weed the garden beds on the South side of house.  He used to do weeding for money and customers loved seeing him arrive and set to work.  A freshly weeded bed looks very nice indeed.

I was set to watch the two Astronauts zoom off into Space yesterday afternoon.  But the weather was terrible and will still be terrible on Saturday the second launch date.  So we'll have to wait a bit longer.

There seems to be a "joke" of sorts-an "amusement" that this quarantine is tailor made for introverts. We being the personality type that are very comfortable with being out of the crowds.  We.  I am one of them.  And, as the weeks multiply, I am finding myself reluctant to take advantage of any of the few openings allowed right now- across the bridge.  With books, cloth and seeds (soil) -I am quite happy.  I collected a second armful of rhubarb stalks when we watered our friend's garden yesterday and today a second pie (with one crust but a two crust recipe used) which will -perhaps-- give us little cinnamon sugar pinwheels to snack on as the pie cools.

Wishing you a peaceful day.

No comments: