Thursday, May 14, 2020

Daily Notes- May 14th

                                            

Readership is down and no comments for 5 days.  I must be "passed peak" as they say.  Back to normal.

Returned my library books to the library via the book return.  One other person there doing the same. Then I drove to my old walking buddy's home and we sat out in the sunshine in plastic chairs that can be sanitized and visited.  With masks on.  Six feet apart and with our own beverages.  We exchanged books.  I gave her some of my bookshelf and she gave me some of hers.  She was excited to get Wolf Hall and Bringing Up the Bodies. I got a few Elizabeth George mysteries.  She mentioned that all library booksales have been cancelled for the summer.  Which is a bummer.

The Johanna Lindsey romances I am reading are evenly divided- very readable or pretty awful.  I think at some point I stopped buying the paperbacks and just borrowed hardcover copies from the library.  Which explains why the ones I remember liking- are not in the bookcase here at home. I have a list that I am making and will be asking the local small bookstore if they can order some of the titles for me.

Three stores on our Maine Street have gone out of business.  They just gave up and it was in the paper yesterday.  One is an old fashioned candy store that only appealed to tourists.  They are selling the candy out front on the sidewalk until it is all gone? (or stolen).  One was a sketchy "sports" bar.  No inside drinking allowed.  Another was a "decorating" store.  G and I were both wondering what store that might have been.  I'm thinking it was the "questionable antiques" store.  It's close enough to the health food store- they might want to expand as natural foods that are very expensive - very popular right now. But they have Standard Baking French Baguette which is awesome. I buy one and eat it while walking back to where I parked my car.

It's sunny and warm here in Maine today.  And I was still wearing my winter clothes because the inside of my house is still very cold. So I had to move my chair into the shade.   I have another loaf of no knead bread in the oven with just the light on.  Getting the oven warm for the 6 to 8 hour rise.

Some animal has eaten half of... and this morning I saw --dug a huge hole in the bed with the new calendula seedlings.  It's too late to start new seeds.  In a fenced garden.  So, I will either have none or will need to buy commercial seedlings.  It is very disappointing.  Better news- the rhubarb plants that seemed to be refusing to grow- are now thriving.  Still small, but hopefully the heat won't make them bolt and go to seed.  I would like one rhubarb custard pie.  I have not seen any rhubarb at the grocery but didn't make a specific search for it.  I may search the freezer here at home.  And make a homemade crust with some of the butter I have in the fridge.

Are you planting anything?  Eating anything interesting?  I am going to eat the Crunchy Vegetable Salad I purchased yesterday.  Talk to you tomorrow.  Take care. Be safe.

4 comments:

dianen said...

I'm still reading although I don't seem to have much to say these days. To anyone. Our grocery never sells rhubarb so I have my own patch in the garden. Otherwise I have planted nothing. The local greenhouses are not allowing people in to shop, not even by appointment, even though they are allowed to as of May 1st. We are supposed to order online and then pick everything up curbside, using a credit card. No cash. I always try new things as well as old things so the looking is half the fun for me. Also I don't want plants that someone else has selected and I think it's a sad day when stores and greenhouses won't accept cash.

We had two frosts last week but fortunately they were not heavy enough to kill the peonies that are in the garden. I decided I will make do with what I have for the most part and any volunteers that appear in the garden. I have seeds left from last year so I will use those as well.

And if my copy of the lasagna gardening book (purchased used) ever arrives I would like to try that this year. Different things for different times.

Paula, the quilter said...

Our weather is such a roller coaster. Days in the upper 70s and nights close to freezing. I direct seeded radish, spinach, lettuce and peas. They are flourishing. The potatoes are doing well. The plants I started in little 6 packs had almost 100% germination rate. WOW! 3 types of tomatoes, zucchini, delicata squash, basil and marigolds. I bought 2 sweet pepper plants. All of those are still in my kitchen sunny spot. I did a drive by plant drop off today.

When I was out I dropped off more of the fabric masks I've been making. My hairdresser was in dire need and thought it would be a good idea to be able to supply masks. I traded masks for haircuts. Win-win.

Our state is starting to S-L-O-W-L-Y open up, but with the hubs being a compromised individual, we aren't doing a whole lot of out-and-abouting.

Joanne S said...

The greenhouse where I worked in allowing 15 people inside at one time- masked. No one wants CASH. Money is filthy with germs. Chipmonk eating my seedlings- will need to trap and relocate him. I think you can also ask the salespeople to bring stuff to car- but examine it prior be buying. I like choosing myself. and sometimes even the nicest plant isn't the nicest- it happens.

A close friend- the one with the chairs that need seat coverings who visited me last week (with masks and distancing)- her dad tested positive for Covid 19 102 years old/Boston. Got it from a positive care giver. So- the first time it has gotten close to me. My house. Really a kick in the gut. Friend is still negative.

dianen said...

I sincerely hope your friend remains negative and her father will be okay.