Sunday, November 24, 2019

Daily Notes- November 24

                                       

We left just as the Sun reached that space in the sky where it shines directly into your eyes as you drive South.  And we arrive in South Portland and Trader Joes just as everyone else living in Maine arrived, also.  It helped so very very much that all employees were busy stocking shelves blocking half of every aisle.

I had my list-  Caramels. Period.  I had my daughter's very specific list.  She had looked into her pantry and wanted 3 each of three items and as much as I could get of the fourth item- Sipping Chocolate.  Which I am guessing is rather hard to find.  I didn't bother to read the container- I still have no idea what the stuff is- but I got lots of it.

Two women were  standing by the potato table wondering which potato was the right one for Thanksgiving.  I listened for a bit and then volunteered my opinion that the gold or yellow potatoes were very very nice for mashed potatoes and always look so "buttery".  They each selected a bag and we parted.

I got what I really wanted- Brussels Sprouts still on the "branch"- I think of it as the stalk.  I grew one of these in my last season in Chicago.  Packed it into the car to take to Maine with us.  We were on the road for Thanksgiving and had the big meal in a roadside dinner.

We closed on our new house on December 2nd (28 years ago) and I promptly came down with a severe illness- very high fever.  I vaguely remember Carolers at the front door.  But that could have been the high fever.   I don't remember that Christmas at all.  The kids were home from college.  So they mostly slept all day.  I do remember going to pick up Italian subs and the other people picking up food were dressed in their pajamas.  And that remains the same to this day for that particular shop (which we never bought food from again).

This Holiday will be strange in it's own way.  Packing up the Living Room for January painting. Walls, ceilings, trim and cupboards.  It will be time-consuming.  If I remember correctly the Painter (a very lovely guy and wonderful painter) begins around 10 am and is cleaning up around 2:30.  That's the schedule the Carpenters have also.  Which reminds me..........I need baseboards. I was usually washing  all the floors after they left and doing some laundry and then we'd go get ice cream.


No comments: