Sunday, June 09, 2019

Daily Notes- June 9th


A picture of my favorite unused word--Vestibule.  Here the builder added a vestibule because the door opened directly into the living room.  And they needed a buffer.  It would be real cozy with two or more people entering.

Ever since our entrance way was demolished and rebuilt--and a new door and sidelights installed-- the foyer itself has not been ice cold.  Such a pleasure to enjoy the light that comes in from the North.  And not the cold.

G is finishing up the section of back lawn that I forgot to cut.  I was so intent on the steep slope and all the balancing that entailed that I forgot the lawn up near the perennial beds at the back of the house.  And then he is hooking up the sprinkler in the garden so I can water my zucchini--they have gone without for 36 hours and are looking wilted.  I hope they perk up.  With the sprinkler set up I can do what I did all last summer.  Turn the switch and the water on, set the timer for one hour.

I haven't been able to plant my herbs and flowers yet.  I have managed to keep them watered and in a spot that gets morning sun and afternoon shade.  Mosquitos.

Right now I am in charge of keeping the dog calm, getting him to eat his lunch and perhaps taking a nap.  The walk was a bit rough for him today and his breathing broke down into gagging and choking towards the end.  He has a stiffening of his larynx (something Labs get) and it means his windpipe sometimes makes it hard from him to breathe and that makes the dog anxious.  So we are sitting here typing and reading emails.  Quietly.

My Sunday Trip to Goodwill and I got a Bean short sleeved tee shirt in the palest of pinks and another long sleeve tee in a gold cotton knit with white polka dots.  I love both items.  I will possibly be seen wearing the gold with white dots most days this summer.  My daughter saw it when I dropped off a black exercise shirt I got her.  She had her hand out to grab it.  I said No.

Daughter's garden is looking amazing.  Her plants are very healthy and growing larger each time I stop to see her.  Her dahlias were started in pots and are ready to be transplanted into the garden.  Out front are these two glorious gold flowered bushes she started from tiny cuttings years ago.  They have just this summer exploded into colorful masses that take ones breath away.  We think they are weeds.  But gorgeous weeds.  And the peony that was left by the former owner and has just barely stayed alive all these years has also decided to grow to nearly five feet with tons of flower buds. Daughter is very very happy.  Her lawn is mostly white clover but that's the way she wants it.

1 comment:

Life Scraps and Patches said...

Loving your garden updates!