Friday, June 14, 2019

Daily Notes- June 14th


An old picture.  I have nothing to show you today.  I went up into the Attic and brought down many pieces of cloth.  Nothing seems to work for the upper section.  I will have to "settle" for sort of right but I don't want to as it changes the subject in weird ways.  So work on the cloth has stopped for the time being.

I am really frustrated by this situation. So often work gets ruined by having to use the wrong fabric because nothing else is available. I am just stopping this Time until something feels right.

Maine has just opened it's arms to 250 immigrants (families) from the Congo.  They arrived by bus. I think from the Southern border where they applied for permission to enter) and they are very happy to be here.  I wish I could report that more families had made it to Maine.  Clothing, beds and food are being provided by local churches, citizens and charities.  The small children and babies look happy.  Everyone is exhausted from that long bus trip from the border to Maine. The fathers say they are ready to work.  Maine has a large African immigrant community.  They are helping.

When we moved here in 1991, there were very few "people of color" here in Maine.  It makes me happy to know that the new immigrants asked to come to Maine as their first choice because of the way others who came before have found a safe place to live, work and make families.

I am also enjoying the Women's World Cup Soccer.  I was distressed to see the Chinese Team.  Looking nothing at all like women.

1 comment:

Annie said...

I'm going to hold judgement on the Congolese immigrants for a bit to see how it works out.If they are willing to work and become citizens there is a place for them! I know when the Sudanese first started to arrive in Portland and Lewiston areas years ago the influx was just too much to handle and there were problems.I hope all goes well, but lets keep it under control!