Friday, February 24, 2023

Field Notes- Twenties with overnight snow- a few inches. Bright, Blinding Sun. COLD.


 Someone's kettle of.....I used to know what these were....black walnut?  I actually have some in the garage in an old Goodwill $4 crockpot.   Nice to know, it doesn't matter how long they sit unattended....just add some additional water and let them cook a bit- with perhaps the addition of something rusty.  This pot has some cloth aging in the pot as well.  Black Walnut doesn't grow in Maine.  I have gotten packages of walnuts from Boston and California.  I had wanted to make ink.

It's a bit chilly in the house today.  Could be me.  Need an additional layer of clothing?

A few days ago I started sorting thru the storage boxes next to the ottoman.  I had...a while ago,  been making squares. The centers are 9 patches made of 1.5 inch squares.  And then a border.  Some began with 1.5 inch squares.  Some 2 inch squares.  Nine of them.  I ironed all of them and set them aside while reading my romance/comedy books. 

Now I am thinking of adding ONE additional border to each of these blocks.  Some only large enough to fit in the palm of my hand. Others 8 to 10 inches square.  Some already have one border. Those will get a second that is narrow.  I do this by hand.  Yes, it would be so much faster with the machine.......not interested in these squares getting done...faster...or at all.  I have spent considerable TIME trying to find the same fabric that is in the tiny nine patch centers. I have only been 50% successful.

I often wonder about this....I go nowhere.  Cloth is here or there.  Nowhere else.  Nothing new comes in (ah yes, purple came in from Los Angeles- thank you!!). Nothing old goes out......but....I cannot find cloth I have used.  And my "practice" in buying was to always...always...buy a full yard.  I have, though, found myself buying a half yard now that I have reached my mid 70's.  I am running out of Time. Not Cloth.

Now that I have purple I need to make one additional tiny square with 1.5 inch pieces. Perhaps in the interval...the missing cloth will show up????  I wonder if I have nine of these?

My second Will Trent book is even better than the first..... what a happy surprise.

2 comments:

Kim Carney said...

I started an audible book yesterday - Triptych

Yesterday I went for my annual which I have been putting off for a year. I hate going to the dr, on top of covid, not a good combo. My previous dr was so harsh and I always left there thinking I had a month to live! She once said to me, I know a lot of women who die looking after their own mothers! I liked her, I thought she was thorough but she was just harsh.
My new DR, I have only seen once before. She is a young, gentle, asian woman. She was so nice and easy to talk to. She said I needed a bone density test again and I said ... we don't have to do it today, do we? And she said, oh no, we can wait. So she also suggest I go on Lexapro for 6 months while dealing with David, etc. So I am going to give that a try. Anyway, I will not be in such fear going back in 3 months for a follow up. We will see what happens.

LindaSonia said...

Yes, black walnuts. Soaking them also makes a very nice natural dye for the reed used to make baskets ... on the off chance there is anyone out there who still makes their own baskets - a dying art.