Thursday, February 23, 2023

Field Notes- Thursday, February 23rd. Snowed overnight. About 6 inches- in man measurement.


 Sorry- but you will be getting images of pots and pans for a few days.  Until I find other things. I have this pot in this color and it's 54 years old. My iPhone (antique) is now refusing to send photos to the computer.  Last time we went to the grocery store, I took the phone and it woke up and sent all the images to my desktop.  So...our signal here is too weak. The phone is just fine. I am putting "take the phone" on the Monday grocery list......from now on.  So we can have good pictures here. Better not really good.

I don't think we'll have much luck watching cable tv today as the weather (dampness and snow) disrupts that as well.  Maine is getting to be like living in a Third World Country. With Tucker Carlson. "Blech"

Yes, I could call the cable/internet people........if humans would answer their phones. They don't. And their billing department is in another State far away.  My heating oil bills go to Philadelphia even though the company has an office right in Town.. I've forgotten where the cable/internet bill goes.  And I can't be arsed to go look.  Last time I called the internet/phone place I ended up yelling "real person" while the recorded message was saying...some crap to me.

I finished the first of the Karen Slaughter Will Trent books. Started in on the second.  Wish I had gotten more of them on Tuesday. This second one is it......until Monday.  Daughter says Goodwill has this author "all the time" so I will be getting my own collection of books...at some "point in Time".

Daughter brought over wool socks she wants me to make into fingerless mittens (where are you Paula when I need advice??). For work. She also reminded me that I had not....as yet...mended her gardening work pants. Once I start in on the pant knees- I'm good to go.  It's the STARTING that isn't happening.

I need to make some sort of FOOD for myself and since it's cold and snowy--Chicken Soup. Again. Which is FINE.  I think the Chicken Soup is a healthier meal than the pasta with extra pasta.  Soup with extra pasta doesn't actually make soup healthier.  Everything has to have extra pasta.  And then he has dessert. And he takes a Statin every day.  Sigh.  Well, I need to make my breakfast oatmeal.  Joanne.


2 comments:

Kim Carney said...

I love that series so much, maybe I should get the books too.

The other day I got a call for donations from police fund, or something like that. I don't think the first guy asking was a real person, you can always tell.
I committed to $20 and he sent me over to an operator. I had asked they send me something in the mail but they wanted it over the phone.
When I ask several times if this operator was a real person, she kept saying she was a person operating the computer? A simple YES would have done and before going any further, I hung up on them. argghhhhh

Paula, the quilter said...

I'm here!

If the socks are even slightly felted, making them into fingerless gloves shouldn't be too hard. The felting keeps the knit from unraveling.

The thing about cutting knits that aren't felted is the unraveling, so you would have to do a variation of steeking.
Here's a link: https://brooklyntweed.com/pages/steeking
You will be using 3 stitches to do your steek and I just don't think you have enough stitches to do gloves.

On the other hand, you would have enough stitches for mittens. Just stitch along the sock where it starts to form the toe. In and out, in and out, catching each stitch. If you don't catch each one it will unravel. Once you do that you can cut the toe off. Leave the stitches in that you just did and then either do a whip stitch around the cut edge or do a single crochet (my preference).

Now to address the heel. Look closely and you will find where the sock starts to turn into the heel. Do the same as for the toe, except this time stitch the opening closed.

You will have a very long shaft to tuck shirt or coat sleeves.
HTH. :)