Sunday, February 26, 2023

Field Notes- Sunday, February 26th- 20 degrees...Bright, no sun, White glare off the snow.


 The other side of the work space.  I was reading the most gruesome book...meth labs, addicts etc. And the end of the book- I knew it was coming...but it was brutal.  I will be reading something else today...while I wait for books I am missing to arrive.......this series is brutal but well written.

I am wondering where I during the Meth Epidemic.  Where was I living? Anyone know when Atlanta -- Georgia and Florida were deep into it????  Let me know if you find out.  The book I finished yesterday was all about Meth Labs etc......it was gruesome.  Beyond Reach. No Will Trent but did have Sara.

The house air is very dry and my eye balls are drying out and going fuzzy on me. Need to use more of the lubricating eye drops.

A friend is doing Karen Slaughter audio books.  She started with book one- lucky duck!!!!  I am waiting for Triptych and Fractured to show up....from somewhere in Maine. On a Slow Boat (truck). I am thinking 50% of books read by people in my Town come from somewhere else in Maine. Lots of waiting.  

There is lots of labor involved.  Getting the slip of paper, finding the books, packing the books in boxes, waiting for the book truck/guy to show up and put the boxes in the huge truck- there has to be shelving of some sort- then driving all over the Great State of Maine Landmass and dropping off boxes and picking up boxes over and over and over........rather than buy and keep books on the shelves.  Many fiction shelves here in my Town Library  are half empty these days- and the Free Cart is always full of discarded books.

I made macaroni and cheese (Kraft) for dinner yesterday and added canned peas.  I do not recommend doing so.  Just don't.....  Frozen Peas are a way better choice but I am out of bags of frozen vegetables. It's on tomorrow's shopping list........lots of stuff on the list.  If I had bread- a nice Toasted Cheese with extra sweet pickles would have been quite welcome. But I have no Bread.

My plans to make baked beans...did not happen.  I wasn't hungry enough to want a nice meal.  I just wanted something so that's what I got.  Something to eat but not to enjoy.  Today I will be enjoying a prepared meatloaf dinner.  Which is what I should have made yesterday..... It's what happens when you look in the fridge but don't SEE anything.

No idea what we will watch today. PBS is doing Fund Raising Yet Again. Showing us all these incredibly OLD tapes of Old people singing songs they recorded 20 or 30 years ago- or 40 years.  I doubt there are many FOLK out there still buying tapes or CDs.  Well, my husband does but his CD's are of nature sounds and birds. 

4 comments:

LindaSonia said...

Had to laugh because canned peas has always been my most favorite vegetable. I grew up on it with diced mini onion pieces and red wine vinegar, always room temperature. I think it was my Mom's favorite and it became mine - Hee
Also, God bless PBS because I know they need the fund raising, but it drives me bonkers

Life Scraps and Patches said...

I love canned peas, frozen not at all. Canned peas were the first thing I ever tried to "cook." I read the directions carefully, put them in the pan. And then my grandmother showed up and insisted on making a white sauce for them. I was dismayed, I really wanted to cook those canned peas on my own.

Kim Carney said...

I decided on taco salad tonight.
It is so dry right now my hair is sticking up.
I don't think you have apple TV but Slow Horses is really good

Joanne S said...

Well, I am reminded of eating peas as a child BEFORE frozen food. We had a very very tiny freezer section in our fridge in the old house we shared with my father's parents. so, I did and have eaten canned peas. But it's a distant memory.

I used to Love Taco Night with the kids when husband was gone half the month......