Saturday, January 28, 2023

Field Notes- Saturday, January 28th. 30 degrees, What didn't get shoveled is now ICE.


 Small birds are eating the seeds we have in the bird feeder (not these birds in the photo).  Squirrels running around eating seeds that fall out of the bird feeder.  Very busy........

It's quiet here.  Husband is going out to Bed Bath etc to get the "big box of coffee pods" before BBB closes for good. There's quite a bit of that going on..... Chain stores/chain restaurants closing.. becoming places to buy "medicinal drugs". 

Funny funny story.  Back in the Day....when the growing of certain plants was illegal.....I was the go to person for growing and maintaining knowledge of these sorts of "plants" at the greenhouse where I worked..   The guys had fat wallets chained to their back pockets full of one hundred dollar bills........ and discussed  "the Product" with me.  I made sure I read all the packaging on products they were interested in- so the plants were safe to "ingest".  We never actually used those terms....because I wasn't supposed to "know" what I was talking about.  I would read something that bothered me and then point to it and let them read it and then let them decide.  Usually, they put it back on the shelf. A few times...we actually discussed what would benefit the leaves.

I got very good at it and the Mother Ship Greenhouse started buying things for the shelving that looked like it was specifically for the "product".  I am guessing they were getting the same sort of customers and legally, things were getting looser..

We also started stocking a wide variety of "Grow Lights".  which I had to know all about......

Right now we (husband and I) are watching a local "eye glasses" place that used to be a bank.  There are usually 12 to 15 cars PARKED in the drive thru.  Every time we drive past I count them.  Could have become a call center. Could have become almost anything.  Certainly NOT an eye glasses place.

I'd say 50% of the businesses on that busy road are now boarded up or looking very odd.  The local motel seems to be closed......usually there were homeless people begging out front or making "tents" out of tarps etc on the lawn.. That all seems to hav gone away....... People still "camp" in the Walmart Parking lot after the store closes. Usually older people..which is very sad.


No comments: