Wednesday, October 12, 2022

Field Notes- Wednesday, October 12th. 45 degrees and Sunshine here in Maine.


 An Applique Jar of Buttons for the desktop picture file.  Wow. I am Buzzing with ideas from this image.

And...guess what.  I have an already sewn and quilted strip of red squares ready to be the backdrop. I cut and sewed the reds and had it sandwiched and quilted by a friend with a long arm machine to cut up for a jacket pattern.  But I don't need a jacket and I wouldn't wear it if I did make it.  So.......why let it sit up in the Attic any longer???? 

And I have buttons.  My grandmother's button tin and my large canning jar of buttons.  I hope I have enough.  I'll just send daughter out to find more. Used buttons.  I don't want any new buttons.

My grandmother clipped buttons off all her old clothing.  Depression Era Thinking. I spent all my time with her as a child until we moved when I turned nine.  So...she made a lasting impression. I feel sad that they took me with them.  My parents could easily have left me behind.  Should have.

Sewing on Buttons is very much like Mending. Not a lot of heavy thinking necessary. And it f I get a button wrong- just clip it off.  I am not adding the head and arm.  I don't do that sort of thing. No people. But I will have a jar shape.

Wow.  A Winter Button Sewing Project.  Riley would be thrilled...if he was still here. Well, he is. In my Heart.  Always and Forever.

I have work to do today.  Two loads of dirty clothes.  Husband is done with Yard Work so he dumped all the Work Pants into the basket.  Thank You, so very much.  It smells like garlic bread in here.  

I checked- accidentally bought him the Everything Bagel.  UGH!  Now I have to add reading the package labels on the bagels to my list of things to do........I didn't even know they had Everything Bagels.

Lots of Orange in the tree colors this Fall.  I think it was the one very early frost.  It's actually pretty. Husband ran the riding mower over the grass and driveway- with the sweeper attachment picking up leaves and mostly ACORNS.  We might actually have WINTER.   Global Warming.

By the way......you are all so great.  Comments here, long emails in the mailbox........cheering me up.

Thank You!!!

3 comments:

Paula, the quilter said...

Let me know if you need more buttons. I have a lot.

Life Scraps and Patches said...

I still clip buttons off discarded garments, I just don't discard many garments. And tee shirts and zip fleeces don't have buttons.

beverly said...

“October, baptize me with leaves! Swaddle me in corduroy … tuck tiny candy bars in my pockets and carve my smile into a thousand pumpkins. O autumn! O teakettle! O grace!” - Rainbow Rowell