Tuesday, July 20, 2021

Daily Notes- July 20th- sunshine and starting to heat up


 If I had posted this image -prior to going to the library and grocery store- I would have gotten some hotdogs and a package of buns........they are going on the shopping list.

My car is arriving home from a trip to the gas station.  I heard the garage door open.

I walked the fiction aisles- getting almost to WXYZ (started in S) but before that I felt the bag was full enough.  For some unknown reason I requested "Laundry Love" a book about doing laundry.  I think it's a show on one of the "buy me" services on cable.  A guy gets stains out of things.  I know.....I am such a GOOF.  I saw the show - just a teaser- and I was so excited until I saw that I had to buy a whole network to get to see one episode to see if I liked it.  No.

Yesterday on PBS - the World News shows....I don't know which but a very interesting interview with an Autistic guy who graduated from several colleges and is very charming and very very intelligent.  He says his memory is not words but pictures or segments of images that translate to words for him.  It was very very interesting.  And then,  why I don't know, the interviewer asked his opinion on modifying chromosomes to eliminate things like autism.  It was evident that this young man didn't actually want to discuss this...but he did.  He felt it was wrong to dismiss people who had chromosomes like his- perhaps it might be better to figure out how their brains worked and learn how to communicate. Bravo.

I am reminded of being 5 or 6 and not being able to memorize the word cards- the gateway to my first Dick and Jane book.  I hardly recognized them from one day to the next.  But I was NOT getting a book and most of the class was already reading the book.  I was remembering how that felt.  Each card had a picture- perhaps I should have ignored the words and just remembered the picture? Dick, Jane, Sally.

School was difficult for me.  Perhaps it wasn't me but my genes or chromosomes.  I had to learn a different way.  But no one helped me.  I read now- a book a day.  Perhaps even at  5 or 6 I needed glasses. Perhaps in college I needed glasses.  Perhaps someone should have noticed.

I wonder now that I read all the time and I am typing the words of this post easily enough- if I am actually reading words or did I find another way to remember what the funny shapes mean.

Oh and thank you Grace and Connie for the Cheeto LOVE.  Like Connie- I am not safe in a house with a bag of Cheetos.  They must be eaten immediately.

1 comment:

Deb Lacativa said...

Cheetos must be eaten within 10 minutes of opening the bag. Orange face and fingers. They are great inside a turkey sandwich.