Thursday, April 08, 2021

Daily Notes- Feeling Lonely


 Monarchs and Milkweed.   On the Riley Walk, we used to walk past a large field that self seeded massive amounts of milkweed.  This weedy, rangy variety.  And at the right time- the field fed dozens of Monarchs.  It was wonderful.   

I collected seed heads and let them fly out back where I have a spot like the meadow.  But no plants ever grew.  I had hoped for a meadow filled with milkweed and Monarchs.  But it did not happen.

I got my hair cut today.  My hair grew...quite a bit more than usual and was getting curly over my ears. It was nice to see that.  I always had naturally curly dark brown hair.  And now I know my pure white hair will still curl.  An inherited thing- white hair. I'm used to it now- it would be hard to think of it being any other color.

As I was driving down the driveway this morning (on my way into Town) I almost didn't notice the wild turkeys walking up the front lawn toward the side yard.  All females- (10) and one male.  He was bringing up the back of the line so he didn't lose any of his women-folk.  They either didn't notice me or didn't care.

We also can hear two woodpeckers pecking away in the trees. And a male Cardinal calling out to any single women in the woods.  Spring has actually arrived.  Almost 60 degrees today.  I didn't wear a coat for the first time in 2021.

I haven't read a book in nearly four days.  That is astonishing.  I watched the final episode of Hemingway. And I must say.....even the talking hosts of this series were hard pressed to say anything positive by the end.  

Having been raised in a family where the tendency to alcoholism (and addiction) is in our DNA- the drinking was hard for me to watch- so that could have tainted my thinking.  But suicide was there as well and mental illness. And the senseless killing of beautiful animals in Africa.  That was actually the tipping point for me.

Today I will try to find something to watch that will make me smile and feel good.

1 comment:

Liz A said...

nature always did a far better job at planting seeds than I ever accomplished