Saturday, March 27, 2021

Daily Wool Gathering Thoughts


 From the New York Times.  Lemon puddings with fresh raspberries.

We are needing a freshly made (or baked) dessert at my house.  My husband asks for something really nice....I am thinking Confetti Cookies for him.  Perhaps Marbled Brownies.  Cheesecake swirls. I can dream can't I???

I am reading a really interesting book.  A Decent Proposal.  Written by a guy- Kemper Donovan. How I found it?  Well, in my library catalog selection thingy- they often have something under a title I may have chosen myself- it says "if you like this book you might also like these" So, I gave this book a chance.

A wealthy and unknown person has selected two people for a chance to earn $500,000 each.  All they have to do is meet for 2 hours every week and talk to each other.  For a full year. He likes movies.  She likes books.  They don't like each other.  He's a sloppy unemployed overeducated movie lover. She's a stern lawyer with trust issues.  This all takes place in LA.  I often stop reading books set in this particular city. 

But I am reading this book. I'm 110 pages in.  They have decided to discuss a book/movie each week because they have no common areas for making conversation for two hours every week. 

She chooses the books and he choses the movies.  They have discussed Jane Eyre, the book and now Alien, the movie (I think they also watched Harold and Maude). Elizabeth has Purell-ed the fork she will use to eat her food. Richard's apartment is quite messy and his sink has green stuff growing around the drain.  Elizabeth's house is pristine and everything is white.  And...you can see why I might want to continue reading.  Sort of Pride and Prejudice.  And after reading Siddon's modern take on P&P...why not this interesting swipe?

The book discussions are very interesting.  I had no idea the Wide Sargasso Sea was sort of a prequel to Jane Eyre.  Mostly about the insane wife.  Written by someone else.

And that, Ladies and Gentleman (my son)- is all I have for you today.  The Sun was shining when I got out of bed but now- it isn't.  Husband decided to go take a nap after eating breakfast and doing his puzzles. And I just might be making cookies.

No comments: