Sunday, October 06, 2019

Daily Notes- October 6th


My son and daughter have gone off together to visit baby goats, many chickens and then have Pho together at a little place in Town.  G and Riley have bundled up to go on their walk.  I am staying home.  Football at 1pm.  My son's thin blood has forced me to turn on the heating system (and test the new rads) to warm the house up to "not even close" to what he experiences in Sunny California. He did purchase wool socks specially for the visit.

We have had Taco Casserole ( a childhood favorite) which turned out to be quite delicious 30 plus years later, baked beans with grilled cheese sandwiches (with bacon), and today pizza.  We had dessert on Taco night but not since.  Daughter and son played board games into the evening and had a really fun time of it.  G and I enjoyed listening to the two of them talk, argue over rules and laugh. Son and I walked in Town- visited the bookstore- he needed a book to read and then we had lunch together and then the grocery for a few things and we managed to get three excellent empty boxes for my packing up of the living room contents before the painter arrives in November.

My son is very kind.  He has worked patiently on the "very old" computer system we have here and made modifications and patiently let G know that certain things G wants to do to the system-- just NOT to do.  Like an old car-- just be happy it works.  A high tech computer engineer is not really happy working on something old and cranky.  But he did it.  He cautions that we install NO UPGRADES as we are no longer compatible.  Our computer is likely as senior as we are.

He also helped me straighten out my address book on my iPhone.  I need phone numbers from two of you out there- Grace and DebL.  I hope I can remember all the things he showed me how to do.

And he was doing a "wellness check"- it was very obvious as he watched us interact.  He went on every one of my shopping trips with me.  Walked with us in the woods.  Helped collect, drain and store the garden hoses under the house. Watched me write checks for our bills and get confused. Watching, asking questions, listening. Fresh eyes see things we might not be aware of in ourselves.

I'm sure he will talk of whatever he has noticed with his sister while they have lunch together. We are in good hands.

We have today and tomorrow and then very early- before dawn-- on Tuesday- he's back on a plane  and home where it's warm.  I am posting today- because I am here in the house alone and - well, I wanted to talk to all of you.  I miss our daily conversation.  And the house seems too quiet.

4 comments:

Deb Lacativa said...

He sounds warm and compassionate. I like that he didn't badger you about ditching the old computer for something newer, faster and probably baffling. Change is hard.

Life Scraps and Patches said...

It sounds like a lovely visit - a little of this and a little of that. Happiness and kindness. I'm with you about your computer - I have Windows 7 and I think Microsoft won't support that after the end of this year.

grace Forrest~Maestas said...

it's kind of bittersweet to reach this point with our
children. But the sweet outweighs...no one knows us better
and could offer good different points of View.
He's a good son. the bill paying made me smile.

Anonymous said...

We missed you, too.