Sunday, October 13, 2019

Daily Notes- October 13


Finished and pressed.  The top edge wants to turn under a quarter inch.  I pressed it and then finished stitching the last two star points while watching Upstart Crow (Two Gentlemen from Verona) and then Some detective show called Shakespeare and......  on PBS...and things got a bit wrinkled.

It's moist, warm and humid outside.  Ri and I went out to get the paper.  He's pretty chipper this morning and raring to go on the Daily Walk before it rains.  Feels like it will.  We all slept well and something happened to my phone overnight.  Everything I am comfortable with is now upgraded to funny symbols I do NOT understand. I stamped my feet and said bad words. Very bad words.

I found the Maine Extension Bulletin #2068 on Pruning Peaches in Maine.  One day late for the class. But now have to figure out how to send to the two classmates via email.   So the center leader has to be removed.  So the tree branches make an open bowl shape.  Kind of a scary thing to do on a tree that's a few years into growth. Cut out the central stem.

The Reader who said I shouldn't have cut the mullein.  We might be talking about two different plants. I like the small one with the pink flowers.  This one has furry gray leaves the size of your arm and yellow flowers. It's sort of prehistoric looking.  What sort of medicinal properties does it have?

I finally took the time (and while wearing my eyeglasses) to find my bed socks in the rather enormous  sock basket in the closet.  So last night I slept very well, indeed.  The bed socks are very old, loose at the top and with holes in the heels from lots of wear.  Good old friends.  Keep my feet warm. I used to wear them to work.  I really do not like socks with a very tight binding around the top- making deep grooves in my ankles.  And I really despise the line of stitches at the toe-which is why I wear ALL my socks inside out.  It rubs across my toes and makes me crazy.

I am a living representative of the Princess and the Pea.  A really irritable woman.  Able to find the flaw in any bed, sock, shirt or man.  Things that rub me the wrong way.  No member of my family wants to go shoe, sock or slipper shopping with me.  And underwear?  Another despicable adventure when something wears out.  Memory foam bras?  Why?????

I stopped at Walmart on the way home from work yesterday. It's just down the road on my way.  I hate Walmart.  But I needed Aveeno Shampoo.  I have been washing my hair with body wash from Trader Joes since I ran out of Aveeno.  I use the Trader Joe body wash to wash my sweaters.  Has nice citrus oils in it.  Smells wonderful.  But isn't doing my hair any favors.  I now have two bottles of Aveeno Shampoo.  My hair will be happy again.  Even though I think it was getting used to the body wash.

I have changed my milk to a fat free version of Fairlife.  It's a high protein lactose free milk product. Has omega 3 which is supposed to be a good thing.  This morning was my first taste of it.  Okay.  I can be okay with it.  I am proud of myself for making the change.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The mullein I referred to is the plant with big fuzzy leaves that sends up a stalk that has little yellow flowers on it.

My grandmother dried the leaves and made a tea and she also made some sort of tincture or something. It was for lung ailments. Sometimes she would boil the leaves and breathe the steam.

She used to say that the old-timers used to say that mullein would keep the witches away. She never called it mullein, though. I think she called them flannel flowers or something like that.

I never said for you not to cut it. I just love the plant myself so I always let it be. I think it's pretty and it grows in poor soil. Plus lots of memories.