Sunday, April 21, 2019

Daily Notes- Easter Sunday


A cutting garden bouquet.  I am thinking (planning) on making one of the raised beds in the fenced garden into a "cutting garden" bed.  Rows of annual flowers.  Cosmos, snaps, celosia, etc.  Whatever I can find in a six or 12 pack.  I want ALL the colors and shapes.  It will likely be the old carrot and strawberry bed that the chipmunks tunneled to eat all the carrots roots and leave me just the tops.  A good Easter story, no?  And they ate all the strawberries as well.

Riley had a bad night.  He's sleeping now--with the aid of a tranquilizer (now he's awake).  I'm thinking we should give him a pill at about 8 pm every evening.  Perhaps earlier.  G is worried that Riley is getting too thin.  Old Dogs.  The long goodbye.  Really hard.  He did enjoy his walk today.  I was still having breakfast when they went--otherwise I would have gone.  But G wanted to beat the coming rain.

Later, I started the work of culling books from my bookcase.  Not many hold my interest now, so will be donated, but the "other stuff" found in the books was of interest.  Sales slips, hand written notes,  an old phone number etc. I did removed images from most of the books.  For my journals. Because that way, I'll always have the images I liked or loved.  Don't need the books.  The pile is heavy and oddly enough all the books are square.  I imagine book publishers found decorating books are nicer if the pages are square?  The print color on the older books is terrible.  I didn't keep any images from them.

I'm eating the candy shop jelly beans our neighbor gave us.  Only one color until it's gone.  I think I might have eaten them that way as a child.  My grandmother made us huge Easter Baskets each year until I was 9 (lots of jelly beans and a chocolate bunny) and we moved and didn't share a house with our grandparents any more.  I don't remember my mother making any Easter baskets-ever.  Just lemon pies--which she liked.

But I do remember decorating the eggs with hot wax and a pen with a metal tip.  And dipping the eggs in colors and then adding more wax designs  I also remember frying potato pancakes.  That was my job because I did it better than my mother and I was the one who smelled like grease afterwards.  Eggs, potato pancakes and tuna salad.  Don't ask me why.

Well, enough of that.  Happy Easter

1 comment:

Life Scraps and Patches said...

A cutting garden - what a great idea!