Friday, April 19, 2019

Daily Notes- April 19th


Good Friday.  Our neighbor is back home--the baby decided to wait a bit longer to arrive so one grandmother returned to Maine and the other arrived to .... wait.  Our neighbor brought gifts for collecting her mail and packages.  Jelly Beans and foil covered chocolate eggs.  Tiny eggs.  It's enough.  More than enough.  We try and tell her we would do it just for being a neighbor.

I was thinking--when was the last Time I filled an Easter Basket?  Or cooked an Easter Dinner?  So long ago, I can't even find a number in my memory.  And the eggs.  I am reminded of coloring a few blown out egg shells with black ink a few years ago.  But no longer the waxed designs and dipping eggs in colored dyes.  I think it all goes away when you have no grandchildren.  By my age- most would have great grand children.  Neither my brother or I have any grandchildren so the line will end.

G called from the dining room to tell me a male Cardinal is calling in the back yard.  Trying to find a woman?  Telling all the females that he's built a very nice nest?  On the drive to and from Bath (closer to the ocean) we have noticed the Eagle is sitting on the nest high in the light poles (right above the busy highway).  And the Osprey are already nesting in Phippsburg also way up on top of poles along the highway.  When I worked at the greenhouse we often had Eagles circling overhead. Magnificent.

I carried my envelope headed to Arizona to the mailbox--- helping pay postage for a loom going to a woman in California.  Her home and belongings lost in the fire.  Many hearts make light work of giving.

It rained most of yesterday and into the night.  But not raining right now.  Overcast.  No sun.  This is how I remember most Good Fridays from my childhood.  Dark.  Silent.  Tomorrow the greenhouse and two classes.  The big glass house open now and filled with tulips, pansies and Easter lilies.  It will be a lovely day spent with so much plant material even if the sun does not shine.

No comments: