Wednesday, September 30, 2020

Daily Notes- September 30


My first and perhaps only Fig of 2020.  It was already soft but not fully ripe.  But pretty inside.  Fatter than any I have raised in previous years.  I had enough, once, to make two jars of fig jam.  Husband found the jam delicious.  Used the VitaMix (improperly). Never had any figs in following years.

Watched the (recorded) mystery on PBS last evening taking place in Amsterdam.  I started giving the police names. Pancake Face had a lot of screen time.  He spends most of his screen time eating. Cute guy.  And the Coroner was eating an egg salad sandwich near the corpse- he looks familiar but still trying to place the actor in my reference points of recorded mysteries. The new guy is Mr Twitchy. The lead character is very thin and each episode he seems shorter and smaller.  I wonder if it's on purpose?? I am enjoying the interiors of buildings and houses very very much.  

Husband worked out of Amsterdam for several years.  He says it actually looks like that and the men in Amsterdam are really very very tall.  I visited with husband on one trip and we took a train down the coast to the other "dam" cities.  Rotterdam.  I can't recall the other one we visited.  It was cold and dark and windy on the beach looking out on the ocean.  Might have been my first European visit. Ever. So the late 1970's.  The first of many business trips I went along on.  Sweden and London were on that first trip also.  One of the Spousal Perks.  A two or three week European Tour with husband still working by day and me exploring new cities on my own.  

On that first trip- I met up with two tourist women and we went on a bus tour to visit castles outside Munich. A lovely experience. And the next day, one of the women rented a car and we drove over the border to Strasberg. A fore-shadowing of the American Women's Club bus trips in the 1980's.  Six years of bus trips to anywhere we could go in the morning and be home before bedtime.  Traveling out of Frankfurt- that was almost everywhere.  I wish I could do it all over again- now. With those women. It would be so different now.  We are more mature and.......more fun.  I hope. And there were things I missed doing that first go round.  Especially the old English churches.  Kew Gardens.  Oh, well.  Next Life.

2 comments:

MariMo said...

Kew Gardens - such a delight. MSE admins went there in 1988 - our farewell trip to some of the women who were pursuing careers in the USA, the UK, Denmark and Austria. Such great memories. I keep wishing you would decide to come on a EU-memory trip - we would all take the two of you anywhere you would want to go. Marianne and Larbi, Sabine, Sabrina, Martina, Fred and Annette - on standby :-)

Liz A said...

I've never been out of the country ... instead, I experience the rest of the world vicariously through the eyes of others, in the written word and/or in imagery, still or video ... but then again, I have only gotten glimpses of our own country over the years ... Maine is unknown to me so I thank you for providing a window into that untraveled part of my world