Monday, September 23, 2019

Daily Notes- September 23rd


This piece was started in Jude Hill's first online class this summer.  Her piece has three trees.  Mine has this plaid thing going on.  There was a black "eye" at the top but it's on the table now-- keeps trying for a comeback--- never works out.  I thought, today, I might be better off with some "white space" and this little strip was jumping up and down saying "me, me".  The "me-me" strip does make contact with the lower edges in "fortunate" spots.  But the upper edge brown/gold spots do not.

One thing we (I) have learned in this class is that nothing has to stay.  So I could actually turn under the top edge.  This whole thing got started as a sort of a "Prayer Flag for Climate Change" so the oranges and reds (carbon) would outweigh the color blues and greens (oxygen) in that context.

My husband explained something to me.  The trees ABSORB carbon and give off OXYGEN. I had it the other way round in my head.  So all the trees on my property are making oxygen.  Absorbing carbon.  And the burning of the Amazon and Indonesian forests means less oxygen. I am happy my property is making oxygen.

The Pot Roast got made.  Was browned on both sides and into the oven yesterday before the Patriots kickoff.  Was enjoyed (delicious) after the game.  I had made mashed potatoes, green peas, gravy and coleslaw.  Later, we each had birthday cake.  One piece left--for me.  Lots of pink frosting.

I am reading a fluffy romance.  I read this author years and years ago but nothing in the story is ringing any bells.   And I did two loads of wash this morning and no water spilling over onto the floor. The first time I washed a load- I watched the entire time.  Today I ran back every so often. No. I did not run.  I woke with my back all seized up.  It's loosening up as the day goes on but walking slowly is about all I can manage.  But walking is good for a bad back so I will walk back down to fold the second load after reading blogs for awhile.

Pork is on sale this week so I will be buying Southern Style Ribs and perhaps a Butt (for pulled pork). I do this thing with cayenne pepper, brown sugar and cider vinegar with the ribs.  Let them roast until browned and sticky.  Very Very Good.  Each time I make them I add less and less water as I really enjoy the spicy vinegar kick.  My mother fried pork chops and always had good rye bread handy to mop up the crispy greasy bits in the pan.

There was a good bakery four long city blocks away.  I would ride my bike there with money and a list of what she wanted.  When we lived with my grandmother there was a shop on the corner that sold delicious loaves of rye bread with a little paper stamp on the heel.  I was sent with a few coins to buy bread when I was school age but not for long as I often nibbled one of the "heels" as I walked home.  It was worth the slap I got on arrival.


1 comment:

me-ml said...

i doubt it was worth the slap
big hug