Friday, September 13, 2019

Daily Notes- September 13


I was clearing out the bookcase --looking for something I have misplaced.  Came across this page from a drawing journal.  Sunflowers.

Season one of Law and Order Criminal Intent.  I came late to this series on tv.  So, I have missed quite a few of the early ones.  Riley and I are enjoying them.  He's gone on his walk with G.  He used to walk way ahead of us and we had to blow the whistle to "recall" him back to us (like our children when they were small).  Now he walks behind G.  They both amble.  But at least they are both able to walk. I continue to have trouble with my right hip.  Makes walking any distance painfully slow. It hardly bothers me during my day.  Just if I have to walk purposefully.

It got down into the 40's last night.  Winter comes early to Maine.  Stays a  long time.

I have only one very thin idea for another house square.  I may do a sunflower in-between.  I made a long list of things: House Fly- House Coat- House Dress- House Keeper- On the House- House Work.
And also another list using Home.  Homeless- Homemade - Homesick-  Home run.  The trick is to make the word and the house work together.

The peaches are all gone.  The plums went soft before I could eat them all.  I am still picking tomatoes.  I have three large flat boxes of them on the floor in the vestibule.  With a sheet of newspaper covering lightly.  I think the tomatoes I put in freezer bags last September are still in the freezer.  They come too late.  They ripen when it's cold here in Maine.  I want to eat them when the weather is hot and summery.  July.

I am thinking about long pants and socks today.  Not a juicy tomato sandwich.

I did not sleep well last night.  There was something else present.  Their dreams.  Not mine.  Waking me up.  I know it sounds very strange to write these things-- but it's how it felt.  A disturbance of some sort.  I am still feeling slightly off center this morning.  I did forget to take my bedtime Benadryl so that might be all it was.

2 comments:

Susan Sawatzky said...

Joann,

Do you find the benadryl makes you groggy the next day? I've experimented and find that I'm not much good for anything the next day so have stopped taking it. Then my daughter sent me this because I mentioned using it for sleep: Though they may help you fall asleep faster and get more sleep, antihistamines won’t necessarily lead to better quality sleep, which is what’s most important, Elliott said.

This is because antihistamine also blocks acetylcholine, a neurotransmitter in your brain that plays a role in REM sleep (the phase of sleep involving dreams). And in the process, this increases your phases of light sleep at the expense of deeper sleep, leading to greater likelihood of next-day sedation.

“The sedation is usually from the medicine still being in the body after waking, but some of the fatigue is from the brain not going through its normal stages of sleep during the night,” Dimitriu said.

Thanks to the next-day hangover effect, other symptoms you might experience by day include dry mouth, dizziness, poor focus and forgetfulness. You may also develop a tolerance to the sedative effects pretty quickly, according to the Mayo Clinic, so the longer you take the medication, the less likely they are to help you conk out.

Chris said...

Friday the 13th Full Moon.
Trouble sleeping?
Wild kitty running around this morning.