Saturday, August 31, 2019

Daily Notes- August 31


The last day of August.  I finished a book just now-- The Lost Letters of William Woolf.  Author is Helen Cullen.  Spellbinding.  I recommend it.  Just a book of people, love and letters.  The dead letter office.

I made the Southern Peach Cobbler.

A good book and good cobbler.   And another dreamless sleep.

You probably wonder that I appreciate a dreamless sleep.  My usual is a series of replayed "bad things" which I try all night to get to go away or change into normal things. It is wearing on the nerves. So no dreams at all....a very good thing.  Restful.  So very restful.

I bought a bag of Twizzlers when I went out for groceries yesterday, late in the afternoon.  G needed yogurts and bagels and I needed...to get out of the house.  That about sums up yesterday.  I needed to get away from the house.  I often think of running away.  Just packing up the car and driving away.  Which is actually Quite Hilarious.  As far as I could drive is to the next Town over.  I hardly drive at all.  I have an 11 year old car with 30K on the meter.  3.5K per year when I drove to work 5 days a week.  Now, just the grocery, bank, library parking lot.  I may never reach 40K.

Not being an adventurous driver is what happens when you learn to drive at 30 years of age.  I have never even tried to parallel park.  I have driven quite fast on a highway while G slept in the backseat. but I never had to get on or off that highway.  Just go straight.  When I got tired I pulled into a rest area.  Which woke G up.  I could never do that now.  I am too old for driving fast or finding roads or making turns.  Or the nightmare of getting LOST.  And tailgating.

The circle up top was taken in bad lighting.  It looks better.  Not much.  I was just picking and mixing paint and painting circles.  I may do it again today.  Squeeze fresh yellow onto the plastic plate I use. I couldn't make a proper lime green or lemon lime green.  No yellow.  So things got murky.

I am giving the Blue House of Dreams a second chance.

 And I am slicing a dozen or so green tomatoes on the mandoline to make  "Green Tomato Refrigerator Pickles" which sound a lot like the zucchini bread and butter pickles.  They aren't processed so only will last a few weeks.  But I think they will be good with a proper grilled cheese sandwich.  I'll make them once with the recipe and if they are good- the second time with some hot chili sliced into the mix.  And I may just process them.

2 comments:

Diane Perin said...

Joanne, have you read Ladder of Years by Anne Tyler? About a woman who gets fed up with her family on a beach vacation and just walked away. I really liked it and it might appeal to you right now. I totally get it.

deemallon said...

Those tomato pickles sound delicious! The stuff about needing to get out of the house — I can relate. Often wonder: when did life get so small? But the driving bits were somehow, hilarious.