Saturday, August 17, 2019

Daily Notes- August 17



A batik (sort of) fabric from a box a friend sent me.  I used some bleach on it.  To knock the color back just a little.  The stars in the print remind me of how much I love the tiny story cloths that handstories.typepad.com (Hazel ) makes and sells.  I never get there in Time to buy one.  So, I just go and look. I tried to make it so you can just click on the link but it won't do it.

Hazel has lots of stars and moons in her little stories.  Small boats sailing under a moon and stars. My favorites are the little globes that contain the story.  At first I though the cloths were larger than 5 inches square.  I am trying to image what sort of story I could tell in the little square of cloth above.

I have the house lights on and it's not even noon.  Riley does not go gently into the dark. So, lights on.  And since he knows it takes me awhile to type a post--he has fallen asleep on the dog bed to my right.  Has a small quilt on top.  Something quick that I made for him.  A printed patchwork of  assorted animals.  I stuffed with poly batting and machine quilted it.  He seems to like it.  Kind of puffy.  He was up early and managed to eat breakfast.  Has had his morning pills.  Now he is wanting his walk.  G isn't that interested because it might start raining.  But I think it will just be cloudy.  No sun.  Lots of mosquitos.

I planned ahead and bought some baked chicken and mixed it with honey and mayo for a salad to eat with vinegary mixed greens later on today (for me).  I like when I know I have something ready to eat. G has packaged ravioli to eat.  Yesterday we had a late supper of sliced ripe Cherokee purple tomatoes with fresh mozzarella (soft) and olive oil and balsamic vinegar.  Caprese.  I like summer meals.  Not much cooking.  Winter- I don't mind having the stove on- pot roast, homemade pizza on football days, chicken soup for G and perhaps cream of carrot and leeks for me.  Heavier food.

Yes, big ripe tomatoes from my own Grow Boxes out on the driveway. All the others are still hard and green but these two tomatoes--such a delicious gift.  One of the rose tomatoes is out on the table in the vestibule finishing up the ripening process.  The taste of homegrown tomatoes is like nothing else on Earth.  When there are more, I'll buy bacon and honey oat bread and have BLT's.  Eat them over the sink so the juice doesn't collect on my clothes.

Because it's cloudy today- I'm going to read my books.  Books 3 (2018) and 4 (2019) in a series about a high tech FBI profiler who drops through a hole in Time.  And is stuck there.  And runs into many very creepy serial murders in the 1815.  She has to make do with what is available to solve crimes and investigate corpses while wearing a tight corset and long skirts. Caught in Time is number 3 by Julie McElwain.  Twist In Time is the first book.  Nicely written and plotted.  My library shelves them under mystery but some librarians might have other ideas.  My library did not purchase book 3 so I had to wait for it to arrive by interlibrary loan before I could read book 4 which my library DID buy.  I suggested they buy book 3.

No comments: