Friday, August 16, 2019

Daily Notes- August 16th


Today is my daughter's birthday.  I remember when they put her in my arms and suddenly I was a mother.  I was responsible.  I was forever changed.  Thankfully, she was an easy baby. Happy to be with us.  She ate and slept and smiled.  She was very happy.  Perhaps she had flown a long way to find us?  Whatever, she was easy to take care of and love.  She rarely seems like that happy baby who was so accepting of anything we had to give (which was actually diapers, rubber pants and a few white tee shirts- period).  I truly never remember her crying.  Just smiling and laughing.  Until her brother arrived two years later.  The smiling and the laughing came to a full stop.

Anyway.  I made homemade Larabars for her instead of cake.  Thin Mint Bars and Samoa Girl Scout Cookie.  The Thin Mint needs more peppermint flavoring.  She won't like them.  And we have the big jar of salty pickles to drop off also. And a card.

She babysat the dog last night so we could go to a cocktail party and then Music Theater as guests of the Bank. I had quite a few of the bacon wrapped scallops.  I did not have a drink as last year's one drink was mighty strong.  Would have been nice to have crab claws as well.  Or some lobster.  We were given gift bags with two cookies.  One of glittery red shoes and one of the yellow brick road. I gave my bag to our daughter as she seemed interested in the cookies.

Yet again the audience sat on their hands thru most of the performance.  Not giving applause to good singing or funny lines.  Just silent.  I like it when the audience and the actors are "in it together". Perhaps the actors just weren't making a connection?   The star of the show was Dorothy's little dog.
Walking on and off stage on cue and jumping into the actor's arms then looking out at the audience.

I am reminded of the actor singing and splashing water on the front row (Singing in the Rain) (they had been given raincoats) while singing and dancing in the rain.  It was so personal and really nice and he had the audience right where he wanted them.  I think that's what Music Theater in the summer should be. Walking out of the theater humming a tune or singing.  I didn't see anyone linking arms and "going down the yellow brick road" last night as we walked to our cars.

No comments: