Thursday, January 24, 2019

Daily Notes- January 24


It's 50 plus degrees today.  Raining.  Humidity is 90%.  The dog enjoyed the walk in the woods--G is exhausted from slogging thru 6 to 8 inches of water and slushy snow for 40 minutes.  I have the house lights on--it's quiet gray outside.  The boiler isn't running.  So, that's good.

Yesterday evening I used beads (Goodwill) and red and white string (Target) and tiny scraps of the carpet (home) that got caught in the beater bar of the vacuum.  I added beads to the string and then hand sewed the tiny fabric bits--in jewel like tones between the beads.  Making a tiny Fairy Flag String for each person signed up for class.  8 so I made 10.  Just in case.  They might not actually like them--who knows.  I am hoping work has some sort of thin branches to make the flag posts.

This morning I went out to the garage and pulled about a fourth of the bark pieces I have collected (a year ago or more, I think) out of their container and soaked them in hot water in the kitchen sink until I could bend them into semi circular little Fairy House Shapes.  I used clothespins to hold the shapes and then wound black embroidery thread (#5) around and around to keep the shape.  Saturday (during class) we can add moss to them when we put together the Fairy Gardens.  I made 12.  People are picky about houses.  My favorite is separate.  Gothic.  Dark and Brooding.

I did (also) find the shredded wood packing material (used to ship bulbs) and if I was really motivated I could mix white glue into the wood threads and make nests.  I decided I was not motivated. Work usually has nests and tiny birds in the garden section but not this year.

I found the handout I made years ago--of hand drawn ideas for making things for a Fairy Garden.  Up in the Magic Attic, of course.  Last year I could not find it.  Little swings, fences, paths, tables and chairs etc. Things Fairies like.  I know--I do too much.

Last night I had a dream that was a movie.  At the end, before I woke up, they even showed an ad for the sequel.  I am still bewildered by this.  It was in vivid color and was late 18th century I would guess.  Or modern but in an 18th century house.  In the coming attractions scenes the woman in the movie begins to paint, begins to be an artist.  The paintings were magnificent.  When I woke up I still remembered a name and wrote it down--but where???

I'm going to have one of my fruit and yogurt bowls for a late lunch--it's almost 2pm.  And I think I will read.  50 degrees on January 24th in Maine.  Wicked Crazy.


3 comments:

Gretchen said...

I would love to take this class. I love fairy houses. Every time I went walking and stumbled upon a fairy village, I would take the time to create a little house out of any natural things I could gather. And when I teach I always go overboard also. Problem is that I teach often and it does take time. But the student's reaction is wonderful.

jbettyb said...

I hope you will post a photo of your fairy garden houses. They sound charming, and best of all, sustainable use of recycled and found materials.






Life Scraps and Patches said...

You put so much preparation into your classes. I'd love to just sit in a corner and be part of the class, wouldn't matter which one. Your students are lucky.