Sunday, January 20, 2019

Daily Notes- January 20


No luck with At&T--they sent G over to Comcast/Xfinity--which was closed due to it being Saturday. (??) So I still have no email service.  Six days from now, I will be teaching at the greenhouse where teenagers and a few 20 somethings work.  I'll see if they can set me up.

This is when I miss having had any grandchildren. But who's to say they would have been helpful.

Snow covers all and is blowing off the roof and swirling around.  The street plow has come by a few times and the homeowners with plow contracts have had their driveways cleared.  I'm thinking we should have a plow contract next Winter.  Five degrees right now with the wind fluctuating between 5 and 11 mph.  Five degrees and 83% humidity.  Weird.  But snow is fertilizer so it's all good as long as the power says on.

Finished reading Anne Tyler's Spool of Blue Thread and sorry to say it was bleh! Perhaps it is the result of not having listened to a copyeditor.  There was so much possible in that story line.  And none of it achieved.  The most interesting bits were sort of tacked onto the end pages.  They might have made the book more interesting if they had occurred sooner.  I may not read the others I selected.  I had a suspicion there was a reason I stopped reading this author.

Snow days are always difficult.  Not much to do but watch it snow.  I do have a few things I could be doing in the sewing room.  Cutting sashing for the small square quilt.  Sewing a few tree blocks together.  I found a bag of tree blocks in a box.  I had brought them home with me from my friend in Georgia's house on one of the last few visits.  She was wanting to make a quilt we had seen in a shop. We purchased all sorts of green prints and black and white print backgrounds.  I was in charge of sewing.  She was in charge of cutting and laying out the blocks.  My found bag contains many sewn tree blocks- 8 inches by 5 inches and the pieces to make more.  Each tree has two black and white triangles sewn to the central green tree shape.  Then a base is made of two rectangles of white and one of brown for the trunk.  Nicely sewn I must say.  Not always cut correctly.

If this pattern sounds familiar to any of you--possibly popular 10 years ago in quilt shops--could you give me an idea of how it was put together.  I have some red triangles and have no idea whatsoever of what they were for or even if they belong in the bag with the trees.  And for some reason some of the trees are in two pieces.  The top and bottom sections in different green print fabric and backgrounds. Now this could have been a bright idea of mine and nothing at all to do with the pattern.


No comments: